I've just prepared my will

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3560851, member: 9609"]How official does a will need to be ? If I just wrote on a bit of paper, everything to my wife, failing which everything to my child, failing which everything to the RSBP. sign it, keep it somewhere it would be found - would that suffice? (not quite sure where it would need to be kept to ensure that if me wife and child all die in same accident the RSPB would find out they were inheriting a 10yo berlingo van)
As it happens we have wills drawn up by a solicitor as its all a bit more complicated that that, but how simple can a will be?[/QUOTE]
I think as long as it's witnessed and says somewhere that you were of sound mind, it should hold up...unless some long lost evil cousin comes flying over from Alaska to dispute it lol (I watch too many crap films)

I guess it's best to have a copy somewhere safe. I need to sort all the financial paperwork into one place (I doubt anyone even knows who my mortgage is with, let alone savings etc)

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3560860, member: 9609"]I see a problem there[/QUOTE]
Hmmm, well that's up to them to prove lol

The thing that threw me were questions about the testator being blind, unable to write or non English speaking...until I realised it meant me :wacko:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3560868, member: 9609"]But how does anyone know where the will might be, if we got swept out to sea never to be seen again, does someone go round all the solicitors asking did you have a will for these folk? or break into the house and try and find a bit of relevant paper hidden away somewhere?[/QUOTE]
I expect the house would be searched

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Will the firm reviewing it act as witness of its validity and then I need to get it witnessed by someone?

I assume they'll tell me once it's signed off

Invalidity would be ironic as my parents would get everything after all. I need to inform them about the cat as they don't want him! :sad:

The grandparents don't love me :sad:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I've been through the probate process twice, first time via solicitors and it was a pain, the second time I did it all myself as executor. Again I would stipulate that this is far easier for non-complex scenarios but the process was far easier than I expected.

I have a will drawn up myself, witnessed and in a 'in the event of file' along with detailed written instructions on what my wishes are and where/how to find everything....no cats though!

Ganymede

Veteran
http://www.lawdepot.co.uk/contracts/last-will-and-testament-uk/?loc=GB for a free form and advice.

It is a VERY good idea to make a will, particularly if you live with someone that you're not married to, or you have kids.

I have a friend who lives with his partner in a house which he owns outright. They have 2 kids. I told him that if he dies intestate, his house will pass to his kids and his partner will have the right to live there till the kids are 18 when they can chuck her out - he was startled. I send him a form bought at the local stationer's (cost me eight quid!). A year later he still hasn't bleddy done it.

Needs 2 signatures I believe, neither must be beneficiaries.

GM

Legendary Member
Funny enough me and Mrs GM were only talking last night about amending our Will. We made it when the kids were very young, about 20 odd years ago.
Now adults, I don't think their favourite uncle needs to look after them if anything happened to us.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster I just don't want the mother or girlfriend knowing these bikes are worth more than their cars! I'd rather they went to friends who would benifit from them!
That's fine. Just put that in your will against a named individual - Joe Bloggs, 'Cervelo carbon fibre bicycle' or whatever. You don't attribute a value to individual items. Any cash gifts are dealt with separately (at least in the form I completed)

Top Bottom