I've just ridden a stainless steel Starley bike - oh my!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Made in Altrincham, Cheshre. A pal has one and I jumped on it for a couple of miles. He's got 25mm tyres on it and I didn't check the pressures but the impression was of a super-smooth ride and very fast, possibly thanks to the no-name alloy rims with carbon aero shrouds he uses. It looks absolutely fabulous, really svelte and slender. The position was quite racy, which may also have helped with the speed. It was definitely smoother, faster and racier than my carbon Roubaix. Nice.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Made in Altrincham, Cheshre. A pal has one and I jumped on it for a couple of miles. He's got 25mm tyres on it and I didn't check the pressures but the impression was of a super-smooth ride and very fast, possibly thanks to the no-name alloy rims with carbon aero shrouds he uses. It looks absolutely fabulous, really svelte and slender. The position was quite racy, which may also have helped with the speed. It was definitely smoother, faster and racier than my carbon Roubaix. Nice.
Reynolds 953 ?

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have a couple of mates who ride Starley bikes. They seem to like them and it is a local business albeit their frames were carbon and made in the far east. Also met one of the owners once who seemed like a nice chap.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I didn't take any pics but you'll find some on Google Images. One thing my pal mentioned and pointed out was some tiny rust spots on the frame, which looked like pockets of impurity in the material. What would a metallurgist say about this?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That SS frame au naturel looks the dogs danglies

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I didn't take any pics but you'll find some on Google Images. One thing my pal mentioned and pointed out was some tiny rust spots on the frame, which looked like pockets of impurity in the material. What would a metallurgist say about this?
might have kissed some ordinary steel in the workshop at some point?

S-Express

Likewise - I think if the frames truly were constructed in the UK, it would be all over the website in big, neon, flashing capital letters ;)

Top Bottom