1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've just ridden a stainless steel Starley bike - oh my!

Discussion in 'Bikes and Buying Advice - What Bike?' started by Globalti, 30 Dec 2016.

1. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Made in Altrincham, Cheshre. A pal has one and I jumped on it for a couple of miles. He's got 25mm tyres on it and I didn't check the pressures but the impression was of a super-smooth ride and very fast, possibly thanks to the no-name alloy rims with carbon aero shrouds he uses. It looks absolutely fabulous, really svelte and slender. The position was quite racy, which may also have helped with the speed. It was definitely smoother, faster and racier than my carbon Roubaix. Nice.

HLaB and mudrock like this.
  2. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Reynolds 953 ?

3. Globalti

4. Hacienda71

Hacienda71 Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire

I have a couple of mates who ride Starley bikes. They seem to like them and it is a local business albeit their frames were carbon and made in the far east. Also met one of the owners once who seemed like a nice chap.

5. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

We need pics.

GrumpyGregry likes this.
  6. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

Unlikely to be made in the UK - Starley frames are all sourced in the far east.

7. Globalti

I didn't take any pics but you'll find some on Google Images. One thing my pal mentioned and pointed out was some tiny rust spots on the frame, which looked like pockets of impurity in the material. What would a metallurgist say about this?

8. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

A metallurgist would probably call it pit corrosion.

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

That SS frame au naturel looks the dogs danglies

theclaud likes this.
  10. GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry More gruff than grumpy

might have kissed some ordinary steel in the workshop at some point?

11. Ian H

Ian H Veteran

Though they claim otherwise on the website.

12. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

I can't see the bit where it says they are made in the UK - can you put a link up?

13. Ian H

Ian H Veteran

Reading it again, I think it merely contrives to give that impression. http://www.starleybikes.com/about/

S-Express likes this.
  14. S-Express

S-Express Über Member

Likewise - I think if the frames truly were constructed in the UK, it would be all over the website in big, neon, flashing capital letters ;)

15. Pale Rider

Pale Rider Veteran

That's how I read it, a bit cheeky but they are not the only bike company to do it.

As @ianrauk says, the steel one looks the part.

Prices look reasonable, given there's some customisation in terms of choice of frame size and finishing kit.