I've lost the bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
bhoyjim said:
Been cycling almost every day this year (only missed about 10 days) but the last 2 weeks i'm having to force myself, start work at 5am, so 4am rise, some mornings i can barely make it to work, don't know if it's the cold/dark/wet that's doing it, but the bug has defo gone, i only need another 300 or so miles to make it to 5000 for the year, will it pass ? has anyone else had the same problems ?

I have problems with cycling but at a guess im beginning to think it's caused by the dampness in my flat.

I do 4am's and 9am's and I definitely prefer the 4am commutes.

Horrendous ride in today for the afternoon turn...I was really bad coughing...It was embarrasing.

HobbesChoice

I imagine it's horrible when that bug is lost. Could you give yourself a week off and get the train/public transport. I have an idea that once you sit on a train that smells like wet dog, while opposite someone coughing and sneezing with no thought to cover their face and the guy next to you reading the biggest paper he can find so is taking up a vast amount of your personal space, the bike commute starts looking very welcome again. Even if the bug comes back slowly, just knowing that cycling in is so much better than getting on the train with lots of inconsiderate people will keep you choosing the bike as your preferred source of transport until your enthusiasm renews?

ACS

Legendary Member
Could it be a simple case of over training?

Maybe your body just needs a rest from cycling, bit of recovery time. I know that you have done very well, weight loss, fitness levels, encouraging others on CC Ecosse rides etc bit inspirational really.

Perhaps a little bit of down time is required. I'm am sure your cycling mojo will come back and if it doesn't can I have first shout on your new bike? :smile:
(:smile: JOKE! :biggrin:).

Sun Superlight

I imagine that most early shift workers are having a similar problem Jim.
(Cold, dark, damp mornings with a promise of rain later are not inspiring)
My commute is 7 miles each way at 5 am and I've felt a definate drop off in enthusiasm for leaving the house in the last two weeks.
The lack of traffic on the roads at that time is a plus though, and it's still a good feeling when you get there. :smile:

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I'm on similar mileage and also felt a bit fed up. Then i made the effort to get outt on my mountain bike last week for the first time this year, completely refreshyed me and reminded me why i love riding to work.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Stop thinking of it as a chore.
Stop counting miles.. I have no idea why anyone counts up miles... unless you get badges for 'em
Go spend some money if you can on some biking gear
Walk to work then think about it

Sun Superlight said:
I imagine that most early shift workers are having a similar problem Jim.
(Cold, dark, damp mornings with a promise of rain later are not inspiring)
My commute is 7 miles each way at 5 am and I've felt a definate drop off in enthusiasm for leaving the house in the last two weeks.
The lack of traffic on the roads at that time is a plus though, and it's still a good feeling when you get there. :biggrin:

I have absolutely no problems with my very early commutes...In fact I prefer them.

Yes it's true I don't always feel like the ride but that's usual at any time of commute.

jimboalee

Go out and buy something.
It could be some new bar tape, gloves, socks, jersey or anything else cheap like a rear lamp.

Fit the new tape or lamp and you'll be raring to go again. :biggrin:

mark i

I agree! I cycle / train / cycle in the morning and that is all about just getting to the station in time and then pootling in at the far end to not end up sweaty. This is OK. The trip home (cycle all the way - 15 miles) since the clocks fell back is rubbish at the moment. I am just letting the speed slip a little and taking it as a break. The other low spot for me is around Feb when it has been dark and cold for a while, but then the nights slowly start to lighten and it all gets better again! Similar mileage, around 4,500 per year. I do not tend to count other than for maintenance purposes.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I've gone through periods like that, BhoyJim - they do pass. Usually a few trips on a slow, packed bus is enough to have me desperate to get cycling again.

5000 miles though - fantastic! No wonder you're feeling a wee bit tired. Enjoy a wee break and then you might be feeling more up to it.

Maybe a Team CC Scotland ride might be in order to cheer you up... although I'd keep well away from Magnatom if I was you. ;)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
OTOH from those suggesting not to count mileage - I love recording my rides on BikeJournal and get a load of satisfaction out of doing so. It's defo a part of my motivation.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
BentMikey said:
OTOH from those suggesting not to count mileage - I love recording my rides on BikeJournal and get a load of satisfaction out of doing so. It's defo a part of my motivation.

Do yu have to get to 12k before you get a reg :becool:gu :becool:lar service?
:smile:

goo_mason said:
Maybe a Team CC Scotland ride might be in order to cheer you up... although I'd keep well away from Magnatom if I was you. :laugh:

Oi! He'll be fine as long as there are no road cones around!

You'll pull through it Jim. Just remember all the good that the cycling is doing you. Maybe we should arrange a wee jaunt over Crow Road to blow away the cobwebs! :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

MrRidley

Thanks for all your support, it seems i am not the only one who suffers this from time time, a few people have suggested a bit of retail (cycling)therapy, i think that could well be it, i probably do just that and pop in to the new Decathlon that's opened up less than 10 mins from my house, buy a thing or 10 and see if that helps.

Top Bottom