I've never been to the opera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I started a thread some time back on my first visit to the opera. It was a surprise treat for Mrs Dave as she loves it, but it wasn't really my bag. Having said that, visiting the Royal Opera House and watching world class performers at the top of their game was really enjoyable, it was a true spectacle. I would do it again.
We went to see Tosca.

You'll be glad to know that I'm still a Palestine.

TVC

I have only seen one opera, mind you it was La Boheme at Sydney Opera House. Never felt the urge to see another one, strange because it's the only form of live performance that hasn't grabbed me.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4578749, member: 259"]I can't stand the awful singing and ridiculous 'acting', so I'm out too. I know I'm probably in a minority, though.[/QUOTE]

I'm not keen on that sort of opera either. That's why I prefer the "proper" singing of the early stuff (Montiverdi, Purcell) and so on, and or the less narrative shows like the modern philip glass or adams I mentioned.

Magic Flute is good though as it's just nonsense with some songs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@Mugshot As you're a bit out of the loop down there in Welsh Wales I'd advise you make a bit of a holiday of it and go to Riga, Latvia as I suggested. Flights from Stansted are very cheap and there's plenty to see in Riga. It was a Soviet satellite country and there's loads of history. I remember seeing the Rolls Royce that Brezhnev crashed when drunk in one museum.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Apart from the two Bugs Bunny operas it's all ridiculous nonsense, I'm sticking with rock and roll.

OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Again, thank you for the replies, it's much appreciated. I'm going to take the advice of @srw and see La Traviata screening in March, and if a cinema is good enough for @User13710 it's good enough for me. It's not on 'til March so that'll give me time to save up for a tux. I will report back when I've seen it :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
When we go to the cinema we sneak a couple of bags of sweets in and some bottles of soft drink, should I be looking at something like canapes, cucumber sandwiches with the crusts cut off and some caviar on a couple of silver platters or is sneaking stuff in your wifes bag in to the opera frowned upon, I want to avoid any faux pas.

Top Bottom