I've never been to the opera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Mugshot

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That does cover pretty much everything they sell at the cinema
Yet another good reason for taking your own. No boiled sweets individually wrapped though!!

pplpilot

Guru
Not an opera fan but you can't keep me from a good Symphony . I'm lucky to have one of the finest Symphony halls in the world on my doorstep. Birmingham. if you've never been I highly recommend it.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Never seen an opera from FOH but worked on a few, they always have good budgets so the money was good. Most opera singers are often good fun as well, less precious than the acting fraternity. Best combination for me is opera singers performing Sondheim. I worked on a Sweeney Todd which used the Welsh Opera chaps and chapesses - superb.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I know that the whole of cyclechat will have been glued to BBC Four last night, but just in case there was anyone who missed it...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0864yh4/the-barber-of-seville-from-glyndebourne

Rossini's Barber of Seville from this summer's Glyndebourne festival. Frothy and fun, and stunning singing, but reminded me why I don't really go for 19th century opera - the plot is wafer-thin, and the story (such as it is) is there to serve the vocal fireworks rather than the other way round.

I have never been to opera.

But I have a friend who trained as an opera singer, and sang at Glyndebourne and other big venues, before giving it up in her latter years and going into teaching.

A few weeks back, she mentioned that she was going to give a recital in our town, and an old singing colleague of hers was also going to sing. He is a professional opera singer and runs an opera company.

The event was all for charity - just a collection at the end.

I went, not knowing quite what to expect.

The singing was (as you might expect) spectacular. But what really stunned me was the acting. The physical postures and gestures that "sold" the songs to the audience. And, as we were in a small venue, being so close to the performance was very special.

The climax of the evening was the end of Carmen, where (spoiler alert!) her ex-lover stabs Carmen in a fit of passion. It was incredible.

Mind you, the fact that it was my friend's ex-husband doing the stabbing perhaps explains the level of tension between the two protagonists!

Top Bottom