I've never seen one before, have you ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I was working in Ashton-In-Makerfield earlier & saw & heard a cyclist 'Revving' past me.

As I looked I saw what can only be described as a bicycle/motorbike.

It had a Mtb type frame with a small teardrop shaped fuel tank on the top tube as you might see on American Chopper.

At the back it had an enclosed hub, which looked a little like a drum or maybe a Sturmey Archer set up.

Angled down from the top tube/head tube & tank was an exhaust pipe pointed toward the Tarmac.

This bikey thingy didn't seem at all cobbled together, more crafted with thought.

What is it, does it have a name, does it need a licence, have you ever seen one or better still ridden one ?

Edit.

Sorry no pics, phone was in pocket & I am not Mr Speedy smartphone guy.

tadpole

Last edited:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A quick google around, the concept sounded familiar, and it looks like they've probably fitted an 80cc engine kit to it (google - 80cc mountain bike) there are a lot of them available.

I can see the mechanical sense in it, a lot of MTB's are pretty heavily engineered and should be able to cope with the speeds involved. The downside, particularly in the UK would be that the law would see it as a motorbike (and even with a 50cc engine a moped) and require it to be registered. You'd be hoping to plumb the same grey areas as mini-moto's and petrol engine 'scooters' but basically I'd expect that they are all illegal to ride unless you've registered them, they have passed an MoT and they have tax and insurance. I'd imagine of all of those the insurance would probably be the hardest, although they may need some sort of type approval test as part of registering them. You'd also need to wear a motorbike helmet while riding one.

OP
OP
SteCenturion

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Similar idea but yet much more professional looking job this one I saw.

The tank was more shapely & curved around the top tube & the exhaust lined up seemingly perfectly with top tube & down tube.

Was slightly amazed really.

I don't want one, just wondered WTF is that kinda thing.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
No helmet worn by the guy, t-shirt & shorts as he pulled up on the pavement outside a barbers shop @w00hoo_kent
A very shine exhaust end can, not at all like some scabby monkey bikes or mini-moto's you see on the estates.

As @Beebo said, it'll be illegal if it's got a petrol engine and being ridden like that. When tugged the rider will claim ignorance and probably get away with a warning and being told not to do it again, unless the copper decides he's properly trying it on (or fancies doing the paperwork). Much the same as the petrol scooters (like toy scooters, not mopeds) that were all the rage a few years ago. Once it's got a petrol engine it's a motor vehicle and then we've all sorts of rules that apply to it. If it had an electric motor then there's more you can do. Fundamentally it's no different to hopping on a KX80 MX bike with no lid on and riding down the pavement to the shops.,.

Top Bottom