I've only gone and dunnit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simonali

Guru
I've finally got round to ordering me one of them bike fings!

After umming and ahhing over 26" vs 700C, disc brakes vs rim brakes, alu vs steel (carbon too pricey. Sniff), flat bars vs drops etc etc and not actually being able to find the bike I thought I liked the most, I've ordered the next model down.

It's a Marin Novato and ticks all the formers of the options above. It will have the carbon fork off the Point Reyes, which the man in the shop is supplying and fitting for a very reasonable £75 extra. I wanted this partly for the chunkier looks and coz I think it might be a bit more forgiving on my old arms.

I know this an unusual design of bike i.e. a road-going bike with 26" wheels, but my reasoning is that I could, if I so desired, fit knobblies on it and convert it to a rigid MTB. :rolleyes:

col

Legendary Member
Nice looking bike,bet you cant wait.

I'd appreciate a user review of the Marin once you've got it (Please)

I currently have a hardtail mountain bike but im looking to do more on the roads so a bike like this will be on the cards at some point this year

I've been looking at the GT range so far and i've had a test ride on a GT Legato which was very quick compared to my Giant Terrago

Simon

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Jakes Dad said:
I'd appreciate a user review of the Marin once you've got it (Please)

Will do. You might have to wait a while, though, as I have every intention of being a fair weather cyclist! ;)

This rigid MTB style hybrid seems to be a very niche market, as I think only Marin and Scott (with their Sub range) make this sort of bike? I didn't really like the look of the 700C bikes that just seemed to me to be a mating between an MTB and a road (racing) bike. I was also surprised that Marin UK said that the much more expensive Point Reyes was sold out and that I'd have had to wait for the '09 model if I wanted a new one!

The shop I went in had a really nice used PR, but it was a big frame unfortunately, otherwise I'd have bought it, I reckon. Had lots of upgrades like a Pace fork, carbon bars, Magura brakes etc. Was very, very nice, but too big for me. :biggrin:

OP
OP
simonali

simonali

Guru
Mini review:

Liking it so far. It's quite a quick bike and I'm therefore finding the gearing a little on the low side on the flat and haven't used the 2 inner chainrings yet. I've changed a few bits on a preference basis, such as flat pedals to clipless, massively wide and heavy-duty riser bars to flat ones, heavy-ish armchair saddle for racy light one. Some of the other standard components, which are cheap to keep the price down, will be changed as they wear out or I get bored of looking at their ugliness. These include the front mech, which has no alloy parts at all and is of pressed steel construction and the shifters, which have indicator windows with pink pointers in them!
gay2xj3.gif

Liking my first foray into the world of disc brakes, even if they are only mechanicals. I've ridden the bike in the wet and there is no pause after squeezing the lever while the blocks dry the rim and no squeaky stuff either.

Milo

Guru
looks nice ive got a marin palisades trail just with road tires stuck on its a nice bike but a early ninety's version so in need of replacing soonish.

Top Bottom