I've quit smoking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stephenite

Membå
Into my 12th day since i quit.

I've been wanting to stop for a while now. The gf stopped three months ago after finding out she had a bun in the oven. Just quit - just like that - no more booze and fags. She's a journalist, and i'm a bloke, so we like that sort of thing. I admire her for it. And I admire her even more for abstaining.

A few weeks ago I tried Champix but kept forgetting to take the damn things and was constantly postponing my quit-day. But coming home from the pub the other night i discovered i'd run out of fags. As it was late (and i was drunk) the nearest shop was a taxi ride away. Bringing the price of a smoke up to around £30! So i thought 'bollox to that, i'll quit now'. And did.

That night and the next day were tough. I turned the house upside down and found an old box of 'snus' (a scandinavian tobacco product that you put in your mouth letting nicotine absorb through the gum lining) which saved me from going nuts. I'm now using snus three or four times a day to wean myself off nicotine. I think it's going to work. It's still hard at times, especially when having a drink, but the moment passes.

I just wanted to share this.

If anyone else is thinking of quitting - you can do it.

plantfit

Guru
Well done Stephenite, I stopped in April 2008 after 43 years smoking 15 a day, ok I don't feel too healthy but thats the effects of all those years on the weed not the effects of stopping, save the money in a seperate account that you would have spent on smoking and treat yourself, that way you can see something for your efforts, I treated myself to a new Trice Q 26 recumbent trike after two years (£1900) and regularly treat the other half to new clothes so we both benefit.
Remember, as the advert says "Don't give up giving up"
Well done again and keep it up

Roger

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done for trying to give up.
You will not stink of smoke
Your clothes will not stink of smoke
You will get healthier
You will live longer....

carpiste

Guru
My start day for quitting is this wednesday.I`m dreading those first few days,I know what it`s like because I`ve tried before.
This time, however I`m absolutely determined not to start again.I`ve got the patches and the fake(nicotine) cigarettes,have
told anyone who`ll listen to expect a grumpy old git to welcome them and besides,I`m now 50 and recent health issues have come
to the fore that mean I`ve got to stop.
Good luck to you mate,you just think of the baby ;)

C

chillyuk

I quit two and a half years ago after 45 years of heavy smoking.

I used Champix and quit without cravings or side effects.

Good luck, stay tough, don't puff.

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
Thanks for the replies, folks.

I'm over the worst of the withdrawal effects, and feel confident it's gonna stick.

Carpiste,

Good luck to you too, our kid. Us on here, and your family and friends want you to succeed.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
GF and I quit 6 months ago. We decided that granddaughter must not see us smoking. We had planned to stop for her 1st birthday but stopped just after her 2nd. We decided that if she ever copied us smoking we'd be mortified.
The smell, the cost, the ill health, the smelly clothing, having to go out in foul weather for our habit were amongst many reasons.
I've worked it out that so far I've saved not spent £1300 so far (just can't see where that money is or I'd have a new bike by now :tongue: .

Good luck with your efforts. You'll feel all the better for it and after the birth you'll be giving your GF all the more support to stop her going back to the evil weed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Congratulations and keep it up!

For those of you trying to give up, here's the story of my mate...

About 10 years back, I was on a visit to Coventry to see my family and decided to pop round to see an old friend. We've known each other since we were kids. G had started smoking at the age of 9 and it didn't look like he'd ever give up. Anyway, I knocked on his door, he let me in and I sat down and started chatting to him. He'd have been about 45 at the time.

2 hours later it began to dawn on me that something was different, but I couldn't work out what. Another hour went by and then the penny dropped - he hadn't smoked a single roll-up since I'd arrived. Normally, he'd be getting through 2-3 an hour. His house didn't stink of smoke like it usually did and there were no ashtrays to be seen. And come to think of it, he was looking much brighter-eyed and healthier than he usually did, he wasn't coughing and his fingers were no longer nicotine-stained.

I asked G if he'd given the demon weed. He had - about 6 months earlier. He'd used nicotine patches and they did the trick for him. The ones he started with were too strong and gave him nightmares so he switched to weaker ones and weaned himself off them over a period of weeks. He hasn't touched a cigarette since and doesn't miss it.

G had serious health problems after that (unrelated to smoking) and his consultant told him that he probably wouldn't have survived if he'd still been a heavy smoker.

I smoked from 18 to my mid-20s but one day just decided to give it up. I'd never really thought of myself as a smoker, so I didn't find it difficult to see myself as a non-smoker and I think that is the crucial thing. A lot of the addiction is in the mind rather than the body. When I told myself I was going to smoke, I did, and when I told myself that I was not going to, I didn't!

I did still indulge in the 'other' weed from time to time for a number of years but finally decided that that was even worse so I packed that in and keep my lungs healthy these days.

amnesia

Free-wheeling into oblivion...
Congratulations
thumbsup.png

Just think of all the tax you're no longer giving the Government - that should make you feel a million times better.

Oh, plus you'll live longer so will have more time to spend the tax that you HAVE put in
thumbsup.png

Attachments

• thumbsup.png
    thumbsup.png
    447 bytes · Views: 40
I'm over the worst of the withdrawal effects

Depending on age and how long you were a smoker this is unlikely. Yes, they are at worst in first few days but can last weeks.

Do not let this bother you. You have made your decision - incredibly difficult to do cold turkey -stick with it. You will find many 'triggers', not only having a drink. When you this happens, do something else, anything to distract the connection. If possible, get on the bike and go for a ride!

Keep strong, it does get easier. One day at a time etc.

Good luck and well done so far.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
You will find many 'triggers', not only having a drink.

Keep strong, it does get easier. One day at a time etc.

Good luck and well done so far.

One good thing about the smoking ban is, you can avoid going out and if it's raining all the better as you can have a laugh at those weaker than you. :tongue:

Top Bottom