I've seen it all now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've come to the conclusion that 90+% of all the plumbing installations Ive worked on have some kind of bodge, shortcut taking or general incompetence. Today I went to scope out a handful of small jobs at the home of a new customer. Job number 2. Stop the water hammer in the downstairs toilet. The cistern was hot. AKA, the inlet valve is supplied by the hot water circuit. I sh!t thee not. Also the underfloor heating in the upstairs bathroom only comes on when you run a bath.

F.M.L

Gillstay

Über Member
I've come to the conclusion that 90+% of all the plumbing installations Ive worked on have some kind of bodge, shortcut taking or general incompetence. Today I went to scope out a handful of small jobs at the home of a new customer. Job number 2. Stop the water hammer in the downstairs toilet. The cistern was hot. AKA, the inlet valve is supplied by the hot water circuit. I sh!t thee not. Also the underfloor heating in the upstairs bathroom only comes on when you run a bath.

F.M.L
Now that is impressive incompetence !

Hot water flush kills all known germs as a sterilisation method?
So the combi/cylinder water feeds the floor then the bath? I wonder if they've had a brass bathroom radiator on the bath hot feed as a towel warmer and now it supplies the floor instead, but it must suck the living daylights out of the water before hot comes through surely? Or the 3way/diverter valve has some serious issues. Or a flow switch so the floor doesn't get left on?

oldwheels

Legendary Member

F.M.L
At Littlemill Distillery in Bowling, now sadly shut down we supplied surplus hot water from the condensers to the local railway station and sometimes by accident to the shipyard for cooling condensers. The latter was not very popular to put it mildly.
Bowling station was said to be the only one in existence where the toilets were flushed with hot water.
As a side issue it was very popular for refilling the water tanks on steam locomotives.

A house I rented shortly after I returned to the UK had me wondering what on earth was going on.

My landlady (a friend of a friend) had bought the house as a repossession - the owner had done a moonlight flit after running up bills in the area like a mad thing and never paying the mortgage company. As well as lots of issues which my landlady made me well aware, we knew there would be other issues too, but quite what they would be it was difficult to say. Anyway, I had a greatly-reduced rent for a year.
Now bear in mind the previous owner was a plumber.
Every single radiator in the place was different in type, and taps were 'random' - hot/cold were one way round on the basin and the other way round on the bath next to it! The top prize went to the washing machine - one day, not long after moving in, I realised that the hot water was running and reheating but there was no hot tap turned on ... oh yes there was - although my washing machine had been plumbed into the outlet clearly marked 'cold' , it was actually a hot water outlet!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Screwdriver-operated isolating valves.......with the screwdriver slot facing the wall. It must have taken decades of training to get to that level of stupidity.

We had a blockage in the U bend a few years ago after a house guest decided to flush rice down the sink which promptly turned into rice pudding,so I gets out my tools to undo the pipework under the sink to discover the u bend had been siliconed onto the underside of the sink!
I managed to clear the blockage but now had to try and find a Belfast basin connector on a Sunday afternoon as we had no functioning sink!

Had to get one from Ebay in the end and it took over a week to arrive,Mrs PP was less than impressed :laugh:
Turns out Mrs PP had rented it out when she was living in Wales many years ago long before I met her,it was the renters what done it!
She calls it "The house that jack built" it's nearly 200 years old and every diy job turns into a project!!

There was a poster in our carpentry college called "Why do plumbers earn more than carpenters?" It showed a cubicle toilet, where the door had been left open to install the toilet, and the plumber had left it open, installed the loo, and failed to notice that the bowl extended beyond the end of the door so the door could no longer be closed.

I'd suggest that was more the architect then the plumber...

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hot water flush kills all known germs as a sterilisation method?
So the combi/cylinder water feeds the floor then the bath? I wonder if they've had a brass bathroom radiator on the bath hot feed as a towel warmer and now it supplies the floor instead, but it must suck the living daylights out of the water before hot comes through surely? Or the 3way/diverter valve has some serious issues. Or a flow switch so the floor doesn't get left on?
One house I lived i had a towel rail fed by the hot water feed, which is actually a very sensible idea. get your towels dried without putting on the heating in summer or using electricity

One house I lived i had a towel rail fed by the hot water feed, which is actually a very sensible idea. get your towels dried without putting on the heating in summer or using electricity
Used to be very common, just needs the radiator to be brass tubes so no risk of rust with the constant oxygenated water flow.

slow scot

Veteran
I think you have just solved an eight year problem for me!!
Name any bar in Aberdeen for your free pint.

Top Bottom