I've seen it all now.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
There was a poster in our carpentry college called "Why do plumbers earn more than carpenters?" It showed a cubicle toilet, where the door had been left open to install the toilet, and the plumber had left it open, installed the loo, and failed to notice that the bowl extended beyond the end of the door so the door could no longer be closed.

I'd suggest that was more the architect then the plumber...

In a nearby plumbing college there was a poster called "Why do Architects earn more than plumbers?" It showed a cubicle toilet....

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
One house I lived i had a towel rail fed by the hot water feed, which is actually a very sensible idea. get your towels dried without putting on the heating in summer or using electricity
Isnt that normal? Ours is plumbed that way.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There was a poster in our carpentry college called "Why do plumbers earn more than carpenters?" It showed a cubicle toilet, where the door had been left open to install the toilet, and the plumber had left it open, installed the loo, and failed to notice that the bowl extended beyond the end of the door so the door could no longer be closed.

I'd suggest that was more the architect then the plumber...

There's this classic (contains language)

https://youtube.com/shorts/RdTNcTcoDGI?feature=share

To be fair the lad realises his goof

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not quite matching some of the examples here but I recall explaining to my plumber (and jack of master of all trades sparky/builder/kitchen fitter) that my combination boiler was fed off a header tank in the flat upstairs' attic. "no it can't be" he said, "it would be utterly bonkers to feed a combi boiler from a header tank". I told him I wasn't disputing it was bonkers, but that's still how it was. It was easy enough to correct but why do it that way in the first place since mains water was already in the boiler cupboard?

As an aside "that would be bonkers" became a catch phrase at work after that

Mr Celine

Discordian
Earlier this year I had to replace the diaphragm in the ensuite toilet cistern. What a stupid design, a diaphragm that requires the whole cistern to be removed before it can be replaced.
And what numpty installed the toilet so close to a wall with the feed at the most inaccessible corner and didn't bother putting a service valve on?
Oh hang on, that was me. :cursing:
It now has both a service valve and a syphon with a diaphragm that can be replaced from above.
Unfortunately if it lasts 20 years like the first one did I'll have forgotten this when it needs replaced and will probably rip the whole thing out again.

Earlier this year I had to replace the diaphragm in the ensuite toilet cistern. What a stupid design, a diaphragm that requires the whole cistern to be removed before it can be replaced.
And what numpty installed the toilet so close to a wall with the feed at the most inaccessible corner and didn't bother putting a service valve on?
Oh hang on, that was me. :cursing:
It now has both a service valve and a syphon with a diaphragm that can be replaced from above.
Unfortunately if it lasts 20 years like the first one did I'll have forgotten this when it needs replaced and will probably rip the whole thing out again.

Make a nice notice with a curly font and a frame saying "Remember this bog has both a service valve and a syphon with a diaphragm that can be replaced from above". And hang it on the wall by the toilet.

Top Bottom