I've succumbed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
To a Brompton as opposed to an increasingly expensive refurb on my Birdy to accommodate my deteriorating knees & the Metrolink arriving in my neck of the woods

S3L in black off the shelf from Harry Hall, it is the spec I had settled on a while back if I did the Brommy thing.
I've fitted lights & mirror & had a good test pootle in the dark to set them up right, I'll take it (her?) for a longer spin tomorrow.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
It is possible to ride a Brompton without making smug remarks about them on the internet, although most of us find it hard not to.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I've failed the first test.

I enjoy them, as I do with folders generally although TBH I've not been a massive fan, but circumstances have conspired to make it a more persuasive option right now. Still think my Birdy is a nicer riding bike & I may get away with it as a multi modal option if I'd spent out on refurbishment but with the Brompton its more nailed on.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've never ridden a Birdy, but being ' a nicer riding bike' than a Brompton is not too difficult.

The steering of a Brommie is twitchy and the ride comfort from the little wheels is poor - when compared to other bikes.

I wanted a folder just to go into the boot of a car, so tried a £250 Dawes when I bought my Brompton.

The Dawes was the nicer riding bike.

The clever thing about a Brompton is that it rides as well as it does given how small the fold is.

byegad

Legendary Member
I tried a Brommie some years back and was appalled at the brakes, or lack of them. I understand the new ones actually stop now. I ended up with a Dahon Speed-Pro, a much nicer ride, not many 20" folders can be ridden hands off, 24 geers from 20" to 110" IIRC, but a much more clumsy fold. I wanted it for holidays in the car with some cycling thrown in and it does that job beautifully. So much so that even from home I'd sometimes ride the Dahon rather than my Thorn Club Tour.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ah, I'd forgotten about stopping - probably because it takes so long.

The new levers do look like they should apply more leverage, but part of the problem is the levers are canted downwards for the fold so they are not easy to pull, particularly if you have small hands/short fingers.

I read somewhere different pads help, leather in the compound rings a bell, although I might have dreamt that.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Ah, I'd forgotten about stopping - probably because it takes so long..
Catch up, grandad. Brompton brakes have stopped on a sixpence for years and years and years. That's the advantage of a decent product made by a decent company - continuous improvement in response to customer demand.

I ride both a Brompton and a Trek folder (lightweight Dahon, rebranded). The Trek is horrible. I'd go anywhere on the Brompton.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Catch up, grandad. Brompton brakes have stopped on a sixpence for years and years and years. That's the advantage of a decent product made by a decent company - continuous improvement in response to customer demand.

I ride both a Brompton and a Trek folder (lightweight Dahon, rebranded). The Trek is horrible. I'd go anywhere on the Brompton.

Mine's a 2009, so all I can say is that yours and Brompton sixpences must be a lot bigger than the ones I remember.

Granddad, indeed.

Harumph.

Reactions: srw

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
My Brommie is 2009, and brakes just as well as any of my other bikes. I've topped 40 mph on it, and not been frightened of not stopping.
It's the only bike I can't ride no-hands though. The handling is...something of an acquired taste.

goldenwheels

Rode mine from London to Brighton. It took all the hills with out a hitch. The looks on the faces of the group of road cyclists I managed to catch up with at the top of Ditchling Beacon were priceless. The friend who was riding with me told them " oh he's a runner, he likes hills " as way of explanation.
I'm not sure of the science behind that though.

OP
OP
shouldbeinbed

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
bit of a follow up road tested well now. The brakes are a heck of an improvement on the older 2nd hand bikes I'd test ridden, no great worries about the handling as I'm happy enough riding 18 inch wheels & its agile and I'm happy enough throwing it into the corners. Even with the firm elastomer there is a bit of a bounce when I'm pedalling hard on it. though, but all in all its a capable comfortable ride, quite a bit more so than older versions. I can run out of top gear whizzing downhill but haven't come across a slope I can't get up yet. All in all I'm more sold on it that I thought I would be and am turning into the smug w***er that Brompton owners can be.

I'm even going round in my head on the loopy notion of the £48 toolkit. £48!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My common sense screaming noooooooooo at the little bit of me going, but ooooh look how clever it is.

Top Bottom