I've worn out my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I agree that the rear tyre is a right pain to repair if you get a puncture, but Schwalbe Marathons are pretty well bullet-proof. Whenever I did get one, I replaced the tyre because I reckoned it was getting worn.

I've had one re-build, which made it seem like a new bike. I do nothing like your mileage though.

Tynan

Veteran
almost like lots and lots of engineering good designs and principles have been sacrificed to make a small and foldable bike init

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Catrike UK said:
I think you will find your "newer" Brompton will not last as well as your older one did, the new ones are nowhere near as well made as the early ones.

In what way? So far it's been much, much better. In particular the wheels are much better designed and built, the brakes are more effective and the handlebars are more solid. The only thing that's worse is the gear - but that's because it's a 3-speed not a 5-speed.

srw said:
In what way? So far it's been much, much better. In particular the wheels are much better designed and built, the brakes are more effective and the handlebars are more solid. The only thing that's worse is the gear - but that's because it's a 3-speed not a 5-speed.

I was talking with a friend who sells folders, we were comparing an old and new, the folding mechanism on the old one is more solid if a little more fiddly, the new components are better but that's because they are more modern, although the materials probably wear faster as there is more aluminium used.

I think any small wheeled folder with a low frame will suffer over high mileage because of the bar and seat post leverage, you cannot expect it to be the same strength as a non folding frame.

ChrisKH

Guru
Anyone had any experience of the Cadenza frame sizes? There is a medium and large sized frame, medium up to 6' in height and large 6' - 6' 4". I would normally opt for the large but wondered if anyone had practical experience. I don't want to get too large a frame as I've made that mistake before.

I'm on the cusp of 6' btw (so 5' 11 3/4").

rootes

same here.

my brompton is used everyday and hard (full speed everywhere )plus folded upto 8-10times a day - do a min of 3,000miles a year commuting plus for work purposes

i weigh about 12stone and am 6'6" so not lardy but long seat post

after 1.5 years the following has been replaced

rear spokes (for the better spec ones - ones with little logos on - free from bromptn as i was breaking the originals at 2 a month)
both rims - need doing again soon)
8 sets of brake inserts (in better cartridge type)
brake cables 3 times
rear mudgauard twice (wheel the folded bike along on that little wheel)
saddle - fizik rails bent (no i'm not a lard arse)
3 chains and 3 sets of 2 speed sprockets
2 gear cables
now on second set of spd pedals
pump - first one jumped off and got damaged
4 marathon tyres - just onto stelvio now (wow loads faster!)
bottom bracket
rear hinge pin and bushes

needs new headset (indexed) and 2 speed shifter (does not lock) as well now

still a great bike though

Otto

ChrisKH said:
Anyone had any experience of the Cadenza frame sizes? There is a medium and large sized frame, medium up to 6' in height and large 6' - 6' 4". I would normally opt for the large but wondered if anyone had practical experience. I don't want to get too large a frame as I've made that mistake before.

I'm on the cusp of 6' btw (so 5' 11 3/4").

I'm 6'1" and have a large

ChrisKH

Guru
I'm very tempted. Went back to see the one in Spitalfields Evans this lunchtime and it had gone. No more Cadenza's in Evans in the whole of London,only Brighton. Shop assistant would get it transferred but only if I paid a refundable deposit of £50. They don't want my custom then?

jethrotull

also posted in special interests but I'm still raging! - I have a Dahon jack and the seat-tube has cracked after less than a year's daily communting! Second time as well - previously I had a Dahon badghed as a Rabbit folder and it broke after about two years. The new Jack seemed much sturdier than the Rabbit but still died - giving up on folders now!

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

ChrisKH said:
I'm very tempted. Went back to see the one in Spitalfields Evans this lunchtime and it had gone. No more Cadenza's in Evans in the whole of London,only Brighton. Shop assistant would get it transferred but only if I paid a refundable deposit of £50. They don't want my custom then?

yeeeesssssss. Having a look at it in Evans Brighton Saturday. Saved me looking up where to find one and running around London!!:ohmy:

ChrisKH

Guru
Logan 5, suggest you look online. There's a site doing the Cadenza 2007 for £50 less than Evans......(guess who has already placed his order ;)). Same sort of price differential for the 2008 models as well. So by all means go into Brighton and test ride at the weekend but you'll get it cheaper online. :ohmy:

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

ChrisKH said:
Logan 5, suggest you look online. There's a site doing the Cadenza 2007 for £50 less than Evans......(guess who has already placed his order ;)). Same sort of price differential for the 2008 models as well. So by all means go into Brighton and test ride at the weekend but you'll get it cheaper online. :ohmy:

Ok I'll have a look, cheers. I do get 10% off Evans prices though so I'd save more than £50 unless they do the same deal.

If you get one can you let us know what you think of it? I'm a bit concerned about all the reports about the Jack seat tube cracking. This is what my fellow commuter told me too (unless it's him on here):biggrin: Assume the frame/material/production is similar to the Cadenza so it might get the same problems.

I'm going to have a word with Dahon regarding this problem at the bike show next month.

ChrisKH

Guru
Well it's on order, so I'll keep you updated and tell you what I think. I'll be interested to know what Dahon have to say.

Top Bottom