I've worn out my Brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LOGAN 5

Yet another Brompton (my third) in the LBS for major surgery.

I've had this one 14 months and do 1.5 to 2 hours commuting every weekday. I've worn out both sets of wheels which now need replacing, the hinge is broken (under warranty), the chainset, sprockets and chain need changing, I need new cables, the folding pedal starts creaking after 6 months and is virtually falling off after 10 months (I've got SPDs on mine now), the rear bung suspension thingy keeps loosening off, the rear mudflap keeps falling off (now painted the bolt on). The gears go constantly out of adjustment (I've 6 speed).

Brompton say it's just wear and tear but I've never worn out a regular sized bike with this sort of mileage before (22 miles daily). Just yesterday I was adjusting the gear cable at the lever end as it just twists and goes limp on use. Often have to adjust the allen key screw on the front brake to centre the blocks.

I can't fault the fold but they are so unreliable and I've spent a small fortune on repairs. I'm now thinking of buying a Dahon Jack or Cadenza folder in order to get a more reliable bike as well as a normal 26" size which will be able to handle London's potholes and drains better than the tiny wheeled Brompton which is very unpredictable once the road is wet. It'll be easier to repair rear p**** (can't use the "p" word) too as the Brompton rear is a complete nightmare to get on/off. I'll also be able to keep up with traffic more on a faster bike.

Anybody had any experience with the Dahons or similar Brompton repairs.

Otto

I have a 2006 Dahon Cadenza, Its great for my commute 12-30 miles daily depending on how lazy I feel ;), Obviously doesn't fold as small as a Brompton, but it does ride like a proper bike, and the newer version even looks great with a hidden hinge instead of the great lump on mine, the only problem I have had was the back wheel breaking spokes, I've had it re built and its fine now. Its miles better in terms of practicality (I have a rack and Ortliebs on mine) , and comfort than a small wheeled Jobby, I did have a Dahon Speed Pro, but couldn't get on with the ride and the tiny wheels..although the Sram dual gears are great.

The best solution though would be for the bloody train companies to let proper bikes back on !

My only experience of Dahons was on tour in Ireland, somebody had one, it looked a nice fast bike. However on the 2nd day of the trip a bulge appeared in her front tyre and it exploded the next. I don't know if thats a statement of the Dahon or the Irish roads.

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

Otto, I've heard about the problems with the spokes. A fellow commuter also told me he's had his frame crack twice (under warranty) but a bit worrying still. It cracked on the seat tube apparently. Evans Cycles also said they'd had a couple in although they were the small wheeled models. I can't imagine it can be as unreliable as a Brompton in any case.

ChrisKH

Guru
LOGAN 5 said:
Yet another Brompton (my third) in the LBS for major surgery.

I've had this one 14 months and do 1.5 to 2 hours commuting every weekday. I've worn out both sets of wheels which now need replacing, the hinge is broken (under warranty), the chainset, sprockets and chain need changing, I need new cables, the folding pedal starts creaking after 6 months and is virtually falling off after 10 months (I've got SPDs on mine now), the rear bung suspension thingy keeps loosening off, the rear mudflap keeps falling off (now painted the bolt on). The gears go constantly out of adjustment (I've 6 speed).

Brompton say it's just wear and tear but I've never worn out a regular sized bike with this sort of mileage before (22 miles daily). Just yesterday I was adjusting the gear cable at the lever end as it just twists and goes limp on use. Often have to adjust the allen key screw on the front brake to centre the blocks.

I can't fault the fold but they are so unreliable and I've spent a small fortune on repairs. I'm now thinking of buying a Dahon Jack or Cadenza folder in order to get a more reliable bike as well as a normal 26" size which will be able to handle London's potholes and drains better than the tiny wheeled Brompton which is very unpredictable once the road is wet. It'll be easier to repair rear p**** (can't use the "p" word) too as the Brompton rear is a complete nightmare to get on/off. I'll also be able to keep up with traffic more on a faster bike.

Anybody had any experience with the Dahons or similar Brompton repairs.

NOooooooo You can't do that! I saw the Cadenza in Evans at lunchtime first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We're both in the same position. Brompton is close to shagged. Need other folder for train. Cadenza looks ideal.

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

they didn't have the Cadenza in the Evans I was in at lunchtime so I had a look over the Jack. The gearing is a little high for me as I've got some hills so will be looking to get a road test on the Cadenza in the near future.

Also won a 2 week test ride on a Mezzo so will be interesting to see the difference between it and the Brompton. Will put a post on about it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tyres and rims on small wheeled bikes do degrade noticeably faster than on their larger 26" or 700c cousins. No way around this.

Chainset wear on a Brommie should not be any different to a larger bike. Cable wear can be worse on folders due to the often convoluted cable runs and constant folding, but not much though.

Hinge joints, pivots, suspension units etc all have the potential to abrade, weaken or fail - these extra moving parts are what makes the bike fold or more comfortable. Not much you can do here.

If you can get away with a larger folding bike, it might be worth trading in the Brompton. However, Dahons etc will have a number of the same potential probs as the Brompton, but a few plus points as well.

FYI, I have busted three folding bike frames: a Birdy, Brompton and Trek.

The Brompton is designed for people who need to ride a couple of miles from the station to work and similar at home, under thos conditions it would take about 4 years to get the same wear as yours has had in 14 months, also I do not know tall you are but they are suited better to lighter riders, I had a Brompton which I destroyed in a year and a half, I ran a Dahon Jack which I recently sold which was good but did not fold quite enough, I now have an M5 folding recumbent two wheeler which is somewhere in between the two of them as a folded size but rides better than both and I would not hesitate to do a 40 mile ride on it, which I would not have done on either of the other two.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm 17 stone and do 10 miles a day. I had my previous Brompton for 11 years and the only problem with it was spoke breakages (sorted by a proper rebuild). During that time I got up to 20 stone. My new Brompton has never needed any attention beyond a pump and an oilcan and has been going for 8 months.

srw said:
I'm 17 stone and do 10 miles a day. I had my previous Brompton for 11 years and the only problem with it was spoke breakages (sorted by a proper rebuild). During that time I got up to 20 stone. My new Brompton has never needed any attention beyond a pump and an oilcan and has been going for 8 months.

I think you will find your "newer" Brompton will not last as well as your older one did, the new ones are nowhere near as well made as the early ones.

Otto

LOGAN 5 said:
Otto, I've heard about the problems with the spokes. A fellow commuter also told me he's had his frame crack twice (under warranty) but a bit worrying still. It cracked on the seat tube apparently. Evans Cycles also said they'd had a couple in although they were the small wheeled models. I can't imagine it can be as unreliable as a Brompton in any case.

Yes thats the small wheels version there is too much leverage from the long seat post if you are tall, the 26inch version is fine

Otto

Have a look at the Matrix as well..folding MTb also the Cadenza 8 which is the Cadenza but with an internal geared 8 speed hub go to Wiggle and search Dahon

OP
OP
L

LOGAN 5

I was going to look at the Matrix too and possibly road test as I fancy a bit of very easy off road. Might still consider a dedicated off road bike as well mind:biggrin:

Agree with other posters tht the Brompton is designed for short journeys and I've just done too many miles for it.:biggrin:

Top Bottom