England : Bristol Jack and grace 100k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Any cc'ers riding this tomorrow?
Hopefully it'll hold better weather than last years storm :laugh:

Just having my, ahem, carbohydrate rich meal in anticipation :hungry:

U

User482

Yep! I just made it to the pub last year before the weather closed in.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Feck, my first DNF...
Icy as flip, loads of riders taking spills in the lanes, including my wingman. We abandoned in the end after having to walk 3k cos of the ice.
Rode back in one long peloton of abandon with about five others.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Feck, my first DNF...
Icy as flip, loads of riders taking spills in the lanes, including my wingman. We abandoned in the end after having to walk 3k cos of the ice.
Rode back in one long peloton of abandon with about five others.
I don't blame you, Pikey! I only persevered because I had been blabbing to all and sundry about doing the Century a Month Challenge this year, and I didn't want to fall at the first hurdle. I also reckon to have walked about 3km of it, but it was a 105km ride, so i'm having that one. Have just written it up on the "Your Ride Today" thread. Doing it all again next week on the Windrush Winter Warm-up. Might I bump into you again there?

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

I don't blame you, Pikey! I only persevered because I had been blabbing to all and sundry about doing the Century a Month Challenge this year, and I didn't want to fall at the first hurdle. I also reckon to have walked about 3km of it, but it was a 105km ride, so i'm having that one. Have just written it up on the "Your Ride Today" thread. Doing it all again next week on the Windrush Winter Warm-up. Might I bump into you again there?
Ach, donger if I knew you were in attendance I would have kept an eye out for you!

Tbh, I was quite up for carrying on, til I saw one lady go over and heard the sickening crunch of bones and Tarmac.

Kudos to you for completing it, it's a lovely ride.

I'm thinking of riding it as a permanent / DIY in April if you're in the area?

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

Was it just one patch that was icy? I was thinking you had a nice day for it, and that it didn't seem too cold.

It was 'gurt lush' as the locals say as we went through bristol, but as soon as we hit the lanes, people did start hitting the lanes... :ohmy:

I had to stop and walk over four long stretches before I binned it. Trouble was you didn't know you had hit an icy patch until the person in front stacked it or your front wheel started squirming.

Shame, I like that route too.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
(1) Ach, donger if I knew you were in attendance I would have kept an eye out for you!
(2) I'm thinking of riding it as a permanent / DIY in April if you're in the area?

(1) Yes, I'm easy to miss - 6'5" and nearly 20 stones, wearing a "Fat Lad at the Back" shirt!:smile: (By the way, I always wear that one for audaxes, if we ever cross paths again).
(2) Sounds good ... depends how long you can rein in the speed for, though, as I'm not exactly fast. I reckon I could have done this one in 5hrs 45mins in decent weather. If it gets off the ground, I might bring a friend or two.
Donger.

U

User482

I crashed on the ice too. No great harm done though, and it was a lovely ride after that.

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

From what I've read on yacf, one guy broke his hip and is in hospital due to the ice. :ohmy:

OP
OP
Pikey

Pikey

(1) Yes, I'm easy to miss - 6'5" and nearly 20 stones, wearing a "Fat Lad at the Back" shirt!:smile: (By the way, I always wear that one for audaxes, if we ever cross paths again).
(2) Sounds good ... depends how long you can rein in the speed for, though, as I'm not exactly fast. I reckon I could have done this one in 5hrs 45mins in decent weather. If it gets off the ground, I might bring a friend or two.
Donger.

Lol, true, I probably could have spotted you in that jersey. We left with the half eight group, well actually the 08:38 group cos I still had a mouthful of toast and coffee, but prob left before you were about?

No worries about speed matey, call me old school but if you go out as a group, you stay as a group! If it comes to fruition I'll drop you a line.

What was the audax I saw you on last year called? I might enter that again this year.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
It was the Silk Run. By co-incidence I Saw the organiser of that one at the Epney control point yesterday, and asked him about it. It's not yet officially on the calendar this year because the silk farm is under new ownership and they are still to agree anything with the new owner. Might be back on for late May though.

Top Bottom