Jack Russell/Shih Tzu 1 devil dog 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
, I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. .

Would you put your house on the line that every single Staffie would be like that?

I've heard that story so many times. Even if the dog is perceived by the owner as friendly that doesn't mean as an owner you can assume every person is comfortable with a dog jumping up and down around them.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Nah, it can look at mine!!

Not helpful and just hitting other people's dogs will get you into trouble sooner or later!!

You can usually tell what a dog's intentions are, dogs tend to be very simple animals once you strip away all the fluff (no pun intended).

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Would you put your house on the line that every single Staffie would be like that?

You can never 100% definitively say, but, as I've said several times now, you can usually tell what it wants to do.

I've heard that story so many times.

Why is it just a story?

Even if the dog is perceived by the owner as friendly that doesn't mean as an owner you can assume every person is comfortable with a dog jumping up and down around them.

That isn't the dog's fault though.

cd365

Guru
I remember a few years ago when my Labrador was a puppy, he was off his lead playing with another dog when someone walked up with a staffie, let their dog off the lead to join in with the fun, what did the staffie do, attack my dog, took a bite and refused to let go. Luckily for my dog I had steel toed shoes on, a couple of very hard kicks to the staffies ribs made it let go, my dog took off for home. I hurled threats at the owner before chasing after my scared and wounded puppy, if I had ever seen them again there would have been serious trouble.

I don't trust nor like staffies, as much as the owner tells me they are lovely dogs there are too many stories of them being horrible little viscuous b*stards.

400bhp

Guru
1.You can never 100% definitively say, but, as I've said several times now, you can usually tell what it wants to do.

2. Why is it just a story?

3. That isn't the dog's fault though.

1. So, usually the dogs are well mannered and usually you can tell what they want to do. Not good enough. I want certainty especially when I have a youngster with me.

2. Not sure what your point is? I was using semantics to get across the point that many dog owners will say something similar when it's not the case. I've seen it with my own eyes, both when I have been with and without a dog.

3. Who said it was and the point being what again?

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I remember a few years ago when my Labrador was a puppy, he was off his lead playing with another dog when someone walked up with a staffie, let their dog off the lead to join in with the fun, what did the staffie do, attack my dog, took a bite and refused to let go. Luckily for my dog I had steel toed shoes on, a couple of very hard kicks to the staffies ribs made it let go, my dog took off for home. I hurled threats at the owner before chasing after my scared and wounded puppy, if I had ever seen them again there would have been serious trouble.

I don't trust nor like staffies, as much as the owner tells me they are lovely dogs there are too many stories of them being horrible little viscuous b*stards.

Sorry to hear that, there will always be idiot owners, not everyone nor every dog is the same almost all are perfectly ok and you can usually get the jist of things.

You do realise though that many other types of dogs can be just as bad for biting?? (I am not sure, I heard the lockjaw thing is a bit of a myth with Staffies and other types, its just that they hold on). There are several other types that can be just as vicious in their own right, but, of course, Staffies get a bad press.

For the record, I noticed in the original post that the dog was described as 'a Pit Bull Type', and there lies the problem, the different types can be confused, so a Pit Bull can be wrongly identified as a Staffie, etc etc.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
1. So, usually the dogs are well mannered and usually you can tell what they want to do. Not good enough. I want certainty especially when I have a youngster with me.

You will NEVER have total certainty, be it a Pit Bull or a Chihuahua (and incidentally, those small dogs can be right nippy wee buggers too - They can be just as violent as anything else!!).

2. Not sure what your point is? I was using semantics to get across the point that many dog owners will say something similar when it's not the case. I've seen it with my own eyes, both when I have been with and without a dog.

You are making out that we are all liars, that's clearly wrong.

3. Who said it was and the point being what again?

Well it is a question of the person, not the dog.

400bhp

Guru
1. You will NEVER have total certainty, be it a Pit Bull or a Chihuahua (and incidentally, those small dogs can be right nippy wee buggers too - They can be just as violent as anything else!!).

2. You are making out that we are all liars, that's clearly wrong.

3. Well it is a question of the person, not the dog.

1. Of course not, but lets look at the severity of a pit bull bite vs a chihuahua bite. Massive difference.

2. Nope. I used the word "many" not "all".

3. Still don't see the point you are making.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
1. Of course not, but lets look at the severity of a pit bull bite vs a chihuahua bite. Massive difference.

All you need is a bite in the wrong place and you'll have an emergency regardless of what the dog is.

2. Nope. I used the word "many" not "all".

'Many' still implies most

3. Still don't see the point you are making.

It goes back to what I said before about people overreacting, the dog might be perfectly fine, but the person makes the situation worse than it should really be.

It isn't always the dog that is dangerous..... :whistle:

400bhp

Guru
1. All you need is a bite in the wrong place and you'll have an emergency regardless of what the dog is.

2. 'Many' still implies most

3. It goes back to what I said before about people overreacting, the dog might be perfectly fine, but the person makes the situation worse than it should really be.

It isn't always the dog that is dangerous..... :whistle:

1 & 3. See snorri's post. We are not all dog lovers and not everyone has the same affinity with dogs as you clearly do. Many people have had negative experiences with dogs.

2. No it really doesn't imply most. Please look up the word in a dictionary.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Whilst respecting your superiior knowledge of this breed, i would ask you to have some patience and understanding for those of us who have not, and have no wish to be, "round such types" and feel threatened by their behaviour.

I am currently watching Cindy sitting begging for some Ice Cream........ Ok, Fairynuff, I just feel as though I often have to point out that not all are psychotic killers and that not all owners are the same.

fatblokish

Guru
I don't normally disagree with you Doug but any dog approaching a stranger is not acceptable, some people are genuinely afraid of dogs, and many others do not want to be bothered by your pet. Further, any dog that jumps up at a stranger is a dog that is not under control, and all dog owners have a duty to ensure that their animal is not a nuisance to others.

I count myself as one of those somewhat afraid of dogs. I also know someone who is very afraid of them, someone who later cries after being approached by an "over-eager" dog. Someone who crosses the road to avoid near contact with a dog. Someone who has been badly bitten by a dog whilst it was on a lead. Someone whom I love dearly.

An incident that causes anyone to have reasonable fear for their safety due to a reckless owner and the actions of his/her dog should, IMO, be investigated as an assault. Enough of the "it won't bite/it's only being friendly". I don't really care about a dogs intentions, it's the victims concerns that should be addressed. And an owner that permits his/her dog to run up to a member of the public to snap/snarl/bark/bite/jump/joust is being reckless.

Top Bottom