Jack Russell/Shih Tzu 1 devil dog 0

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
You are right, but having been round such types and knowing what they do, I probably do have a pretty good idea of what happened, that's all.

Nope. You have no idea - you were not present.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Ok, so, I wasn't there, maybe this dog was 8 feet tall, had teeth like steak knives, eyes like lazers, a howl that can be heard is 4 counties and was going to eat them.

My view is probably biased (as is everyone else's), but I do have to wonder.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
So are those of humans but it doesn't stop some of them being aggressive, psychopathic thugs.

How many humans are bred to do a specific job/act in a certain way??
Of course, it only takes one thing to go wrong and.....

Anynnway yes, I can see both sides of the argument, it is just that having experience of such types, I do have to wonder what actually happened

Last edited:

TVC

Whilst I don't know the circumstances, and generally wouldn't let her off the lead (she never want to go far from you anyway), I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. Yes they might be a bit rough, but that is just it. Having lived with one for 10 years, trust me on this!
Disconcerting at first, but usually no harm is meant, and if I saw someone having a total overreaction like you did, I wouldn't be too pleased either.

I don't normally disagree with you Doug but any dog approaching a stranger is not acceptable, some people are genuinely afraid of dogs, and many others do not want to be bothered by your pet. Further, any dog that jumps up at a stranger is a dog that is not under control, and all dog owners have a duty to ensure that their animal is not a nuisance to others.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
How many humans are bred to do a specific job/act in a certain way??

Humans are brought up/schooled to be kind, considerate and law abiding. Some don't act 'true to breed'.

Blue

Legendary Member
Reading this, looking at the language, I thought it was a joke at first..... All I can say is the only attitude I can see was from you, I mean, re read what you just wrote man! (Ok, so the dog was off the lead, but, still, that doesn't instantly make it a bad thing *read below*).

Owning a Staffy as I do, I know only too well that people instantly judge you and treat you like some sort of criminal just because of the dog you have (even though she is a Pedigree.... Well, Ex Pedigree as she only has 3 legs). I see the way people look at me.

Whilst I don't know the circumstances, and generally wouldn't let her off the lead (she never want to go far from you anyway), I do know that Staffies want to jump up and say hello, it doesn't mean they are attacking, they are just being friendly , it is what they do, they want jump up and lick you. Yes they might be a bit rough, but that is just it. Having lived with one for 10 years, trust me on this!
Disconcerting at first, but usually no harm is meant, and if I saw someone having a total overreaction like you did, I wouldn't be too pleased either.

Does that make me a coward?? No, Does that make Cindy a Devil dog?? No, of course not I like Cindy for who she is, not what kind of dog she is.

You see, you people go on about the owner, but take a look at your OWN reaction for a moment, an over reaction can be just as bad and in fact can make things a lot worse!! (Yet again, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, brochure and amusing novelty hat).

Now, whilst I generally don't let Cindy off the lead now, many other dogs are let off the lead all the time without any ill effects, Staffie or anything else.
So, if a dog runs at you wait until it either bites or licks you before deciding what to do! Yeah, right!!

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
So, if a dog runs at you wait until it either bites or licks you before deciding what to do! Yeah, right!!

But you can usually tell what its mood is - Is it just being friendly and excited?? Is it being curious? Or is it barking away viciously with the intention of biting?? Look at it's body language, there is a difference.
As I say, I've seen some complete over reactions in my time.

Of course, having experience with dogs does help with judging things.

Last edited:
I've been jumped up at by staffie type dogs and know peoples concerns with that type of behavior, they are powerful dogs even if if they are just being friendly. And they were friendly.
Only dog thats ever bitten me was a Jack Russell type.Drew blood and ruined a good pair of jeans.

I do see problems relating to the size of dogs and behaviour. I've come across some quite aggressive nasty snarling threatening small dogs, but it's ok isn't it? It's got small dog syndrome and it's not big enough to do much harm (children excepted), a quick boot will sort it out won't it? Same behaviour from a large dog would get a visit from the police, helicopters circling and quite possibly the animal destroyed.
Point is, regarding the behaviour differently based on dog size in comparison to us, it shouldn't be.

Blue

Legendary Member
But you can usually tell what its mood is - Is it just being friendly and excited?? Is it being curious? Or is it barking away viciously with the intention of biting?? Look at it's body language, there is a difference.
As I say, I've seen some complete over reactions in my time.

Of course, having experience with dogs does help with judging things.
Nah, it can look at mine!!

compo

Veteran
I meet lots of staffies round here, Essex man seems to need one to bolster his ego. I can truthfully state though I have yet to meet a bad one, even though I know they do exist. That's the dog by the way not an Essex man. As @Mad Doug Biker say above you can know pretty well how a dog approaching you will react from its body language and posture, they give off so many clues. My little dog has had more confrontations with other small dogs than any bigger ones.

Top Bottom