jacket advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

I'm after advice on a good waterproof, breathable jacket at the cheapest possible price.

I don't need it to keep me warm as I have base layers and a very effective Altura Windproof jacket which really does the job, I just need a light waterproof highly breathable outer layer for the rare rainstorms. Essentially a posh packer mac.

I saw a review in cycling plus which said the DHB Hunston jacket is the business, but bloody Wiggle haven't got stock until the end of august and I'm currently coatless.

Help appreciated.

vickster

Legendary Member

Mike!

Guru
Altura stuff is great, i have one i brought a few years ago which is nice and light, packs up small and has survived a big rainstorm. Can't remember which model it is but will check later at home.

Similar to the one vickster linked to above though

ASC1951

Guru
scouserinlondon said:
I'm after advice on a good waterproof, breathable jacket at the cheapest possible price.
Waterproof, breathable, cheap - choose any two.

If you are exercising, anything like Goretex is going to be far too sweaty. I think you are much better going with a Pertex jacket, which is light, cheapish, windproof and breathable but not rainproof.

If you are going to be out in heavy rain and working hard, how about a cape? Or hide in a bus shelter.

gavintc

Guru
I completely agree with the comments on here. As ASC has stated, the perfect jacket; breatheable, waterproof and cheap just does not exist. You are either going to have to compromise or up the budget somewhat. The Montane range is worth considering. My wife and I have 2 of the jackets. She uses the featherlite and I have the next one up (can't remember the name - urban or something). They are good, but not perfect.

potsy

Rambler
HLaB said:
Its hard to find a jacket that ticks all 3 boxes. The best I've found so far is the Montane Featherlite. Its probably not 100% waterproof but its advantages in compactness and breathability outweigh that IMO and it not an unreasonable price (circa £40)
I've just ordered one of these as I have an Endura Laser at the moment which is far too heavy/warm for the summer,this should be ideal as a packable emergency jacket,will report back once it comes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've got the Montane Slipstream gilet.
If I could afford one of their jackets I'd get one of those too. Meanwhile the Aldi one will have to do!

Top Bottom