Jacqueline Wilson - rip off artist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sandra6

Veteran
I don't know how many of you will be familiar with this author, possibly some will have been forced to endure the claptrap that is Tracy Beaker on the telly.
Anyway, she keeps popping up advertising her new book about children who meet a strange creature in a wood called "four children and It" Sound familiar????
How can she get away with that?!

It's a commissioned work by the publisher as part of a series of sequels to famous books. There was an article in the Guardian about it. She takes 'It' into a story where it is discovered by some modern children, and the original kids are included somehow further on in the story.

It's been quite a popular genre over the last decade. The idea in this series is to draw young readers towards searching out more classic literature. Why not?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
IT >>>> ET?

Come to that how did J K Rowling get away with her derivative work?

It doesn't really matter what adults think. If the books give pleasure to their intended audiences and encourages youngsters to read that's fine by me.

I was taken aback by my twenty two year old son's reaction to our move to donate the set of Harry Potter novels to the local charity shop. He's taken them into protective custody and transferred them from the family home to his student flat.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
It's a commissioned work by the publisher as part of a series of sequels to famous books. There was an article in the Guardian about it. She takes 'It' into a story where it is discovered by some modern children, and the original kids are included somehow further on in the story.

It's been quite a popular genre over the last decade. The idea in this series is to draw young readers towards searching out more classic literature. Why not?

Well, if you put it that way, it sounds far more legit. I still can't stand the woman. She writes utter drivel. I'd rather my kids read the back of a cornflakes box.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Our kid's itching to get her grubby mitts on this one, she gets through a paperback in a few hours.
Poor wee mite - must be starving if she's wanting to devour a book by some author of whom I have never heard (which is a fairly comprehensive list :ohmy:)

Maybe you should toss her an old bone or something else ... :laugh:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Ah, The Secret Seven.

Famous Five, spiffing!

She's done that for an awful lot of girls. And done an immense amount of good through Tracy Healer. I don't know about the quality of her writing, but I'd be prepared to bet it's a sight better than that rubbish Blyton churned out.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Well, if you put it that way, it sounds far more legit. I still can't stand the woman. She writes utter drivel. I'd rather my kids read the back of a cornflakes box.
It doesn't 'make it sound more legit'; it shows up your original post for the ignorant drivel it is.

Four children and It isn't 'more' legit. It's 100% legit.

All you're really saying is that you don't like her writing. So don't read it. Loads of kids do. I don't personally think much of Harry Potter - I think JK Rowling is, like, say, Jeffrey Archer, a distinctly mediocre writer. But I recognise that she's a cracking storyteller, and has done more to get kids reading than anyone since Enid Blyton.

You can't stand the woman. Well, good for you. At least she writes books millions of kids enjoy. As opposed to, say, shooting her mouth off on a forum on the basis of ignorance-fuelled animosity.

Top Bottom