Jaguar 4x4

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I do have to agree the Bentley is appalling, the styling is just far too Bentley to work on a 4x4 - especially the way they've slightly flared those rear arches.
Yes, it is awwful

These 1990s (4x4) Java estates were much better!!
http://www.bentleyspotting.com/2007/03/sultan-of-brunei-darussalams-different.html

That said, I'd love a landrover like this one :

View attachment 76783

Me too, I'd love a 101FC
A friend used to have one, we had great fun, it was superb at terrifying taxi (& B*W) drivers in traffic
And, for the size of it, quite rapid too!!, acceleration to 50MPH or so was great (5.3 - 1 axle ratios did that)
They sounded great, almost the best Land Rover use of the petrol (ex-Buick) V8

I can remember our first Range Rover with no power steering, I think they have got better since.

I'd like this one (but in 'Lincoln Green') as it has a interesting specification
http://www.landrovercentre.com/listings/wwt59j/

Peteaud

Veteran
[QUOTE 3475030, member: 45"]... And terrible safety levels.[/QUOTE]

I agree, anyone with eyesight bad enough to think that thing looks good are a menace to the roads :laugh:

tyred

Legendary Member
I agree, anyone with eyesight bad enough to think that thing looks good are a menace to the roads :laugh:

Oh I dunno. Stick a nice body kit and huge set of wheels, a wide bore straight-through exhaust, some ridiculously bright xenon spotlights, flashing valve covers and fill the boot up with a a huge subwoofer so I can drive around with Willie Nelson blaring from the stereo and it would be cool. Innit:thumbsup:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Oh I dunno. Stick a nice body kit and huge set of wheels, a wide bore straight-through exhaust, some ridiculously bright xenon spotlights, flashing valve covers and fill the boot up with a a huge subwoofer so I can drive around with Willie Nelson blaring from the stereo and it would be cool. Innit:thumbsup:

You forgot the low-slung reclined seats that just enable you to peep over the top of the steering wheel....:smile:

Jag, Rolls, Hyundai, Kia :banghead:

4X4 :banghead:

All you ever need is.......

The SSSSSSangyong Rodius Ultimate behemoth of monstrosity.

670x377Image.jpg

Room for a skip, cheap, and ermmm available in silver :hyper:

Why would you want anything else.

And yes, to quote the sssangyoing web site :-

The Rodius offers more roomy transportation for the money than perhaps any other car. With 7 seats in a highly versatile cabin, the UK's most affordable MPV can carry a family and their luggage across continents in comfort and style. The top of the range EX 4x4 combines all this space with serious off-road capability.

:becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool::becool:

I think the ssssanyong has it for sheer clumsy design.
But I think this thing wins as they have clearly worked so hard to make it look like this and be the most horrid thing imaginable.

2014-land-rover-range-rover-evoque-exterior.jpg

You don't need to drive across ploughed fields to get a benefit from 4 wheel drive - 4x4 is handy when it snows, is icy and gives tremendous stability on wet and twisty roads.

Which estate cars have better safety features than eg RR Sport, RR, Porsche Cayenne, any of the Audi SUV's etc?

Re towing - a caravan weighs bugger all - try a horsebox with a couple of hunters in on anything other than a flat stretch of tarmac.

Have you actually driven a modern large 4x4? If you had then no way would you say a Range Rover isn't smooth, or a Cayenne etc.

As for sporty - hit the pedal on eg a Cayenne Turbo and that'll show you what sporty is all about.

Older RR were not even ncap tested. The are built on a chassis with the extra dead weight increasing stopping distance. Ncap now gives the disco 4 stars with driver rating 31 and pedestrian 8. E class merc is 5 stars with driver 86 and pedestrians (or cyclists if you hit one) 59. They tend to hurt others while not helping the occupants.

I do accept they go fast and now can hold the road with some degree of performance. But in doing so they are still high up and must move about more as they are further away from the centre of gravity. If you took a Transit van, wrote "sport" on it, bunged in a hot engine and some suspension control it will still not handle like a car.

They also have to have about double the brakes and double the engine power and double the fuel to deliver that better performance.

A true sports car moves lower to the ground, not get jacked up in the air - ya cannee change the laws of physics!

MarkF

Guru
It's an Indian car with global parts purchasing used to build it, I do not believe it will have "better" parts than a Mazda, and since it is no longer a "real" Jaguar, with it's linear "added value" heritage, exaclty what would a purchaser be paying a premium price for? It's diluting the brand IMO and there is only way it's going to end up, Thornton's Chocolates.............

I have no problem with this. Not a bad looking car.

I agree but it's not bad looking in that all the similar (very) SUV's are not bad looking, but take off their 2 cheap bolt-on (ever larger growing) plastic panels, front and rear, where all the "styling" appears to be and nobody would be able to tell which was which.

400bhp

Guru
You don't need to drive across ploughed fields to get a benefit from 4 wheel drive - 4x4 is handy when it snows, is icy and gives tremendous stability on wet and twisty roads.

Which estate cars have better safety features than eg RR Sport, RR, Porsche Cayenne, any of the Audi SUV's etc?

Re towing - a caravan weighs bugger all - try a horsebox with a couple of hunters in on anything other than a flat stretch of tarmac.

Have you actually driven a modern large 4x4? If you had then no way would you say a Range Rover isn't smooth, or a Cayenne etc.

As for sporty - hit the pedal on eg a Cayenne Turbo and that'll show you what sporty is all about.

Seriously, don't ever call a 4 x 4 sporty.

It's fast in a willy waving straight line. Any numpty can drive one fast.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Older RR were not even ncap tested. The are built on a chassis with the extra dead weight increasing stopping distance. Ncap now gives the disco 4 stars with driver rating 31 and pedestrian 8. E class merc is 5 stars with driver 86 and pedestrians (or cyclists if you hit one) 59. They tend to hurt others while not helping the occupants.

I do accept they go fast and now can hold the road with some degree of performance. But in doing so they are still high up and must move about more as they are further away from the centre of gravity. If you took a Transit van, wrote "sport" on it, bunged in a hot engine and some suspension control it will still not handle like a car.

They also have to have about double the brakes and double the engine power and double the fuel to deliver that better performance.

A true sports car moves lower to the ground, not get jacked up in the air - ya cannee change the laws of physics!

Agreed but that is not the same vehicle as eg Supercharged Range Rover (5 Star NCAP).

See if you can get a ride in one - or better still drive one. I've done both - the thing is astonishing. Very composed with little body movement. Porsche fast too.

I've had some fast-ish cars in the past (540d/M3) and I'd wager this thing would match them on the straights, be pretty close in the twisties and drop them for dead on twisty soaking wet or icy roads.

LimeBurn

Über Member
I think some models are sporty - we'll have to agree to differ.

I agree they are not supercar sporty but to me sporty is fast, handles well, stops well and makes you grin.

Completely agree, don't think anyone could say a Cayenne turbo or RS6 is not sporty. Not a lot that could compete with an RS6 this side of a supercar.

[QUOTE 3474633, member: 45"]The Skoda Roomster (funny estate/min MPV thing) had much better internal space than the Skoda Yeti, its bigger SUV/4x4 brother.[/QUOTE]
We've got a roomster. Silly amount of space for a small car, except it's not quite as small as you think. Very short overhangs and a long wheelbase plus the oddball styling tricks it into looking smaller.
Still has bags of space though.

Comparing a 4x4 with a big estate, I had a Mondeo hire car recently, it was huge and can't think the footprint of a 4x4 would be anything much different. Cars have put on weight from earlier generations and got wider due to being safer with side impact protection.

Top Bottom