Jaguar Land Rover trialling safety system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfraser

Über Member
Introducing presumed liability would make people think more, and would be a lot cheaper - no need to retrofit equipment to 30 million cars.

GC
You're right of course. I'm much more interested in aviation than the motor industry so I like the idea of a black box. Maybe that's why I love my Garmin so much; it's a black box for my bike! :hyper:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
You're right of course. I'm much more interested in aviation than the motor industry so I like the idea of a black box. Maybe that's why I love my Garmin so much; it's a black box for my bike!

I have a sort of black box in my car; it's a dashcam mounted behind the rear-view mirror and, as well as filming, records speed and direction via GPS. It cost me under £60.

GC

glasgowcyclist

[QUOTE 3489194, member: 9609"]presumed liability would be very good for cyclist and pedestrians achieving compensation after being injured, but would it deter drivers ? may make insurance companies sit up and think, but presumed liability is not presumed guilt therefore may not have any direct deterrent to drivers.

I also want the roads to be safer for all, whether I am on a bike a car or a lorry. Lorry drivers are also put at great risk from idiotic drivers.

You mention you use a dashcam, £60 and easy to fit ?. I would like to see these being compulsory in all vehicles and keep a minimun record of the last 2 hours of driving. This would stop 90% of the idiots immediately.

what make and model do you have and are the recordings any good, I am thinking of having.[/QUOTE]

I bought this and see that it's now down to £48 including a 32GB card. Techmoan does a good review of it, explaining all its features. It's the only dashcam he's tested that he has decided to keep in the car permanently.

My one complaint about it is that once removed from the car, it's internal battery gives up very quickly - <5 minutes. Otherwise it's easy to install, gives great video and is very difficult to spot unless you know it's there. If you have more than one car you can easily buy an extra windscreen mount and switch the camera between vehicles.

GC

I now have an image of London drivers being driven mad by a peloton of commuters passing them and their car madly tapping them on the shoulder to a cacophony of bells :evil:
Sure I've read that some manufacturers ECU record data at the moment anyway, not gps but speeds, acceleration, braking and the like. Data that may actually be helpful to diagnose faults.Raises an issue as to who the data belongs to. Your car - yours. But what if after an accident your insurers have effectively taken it and replaced it with a new vehicle. It then belongs to them, so who owns the data?

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
So with volvo introducing a similar system into some of their range, at least there appears to be acknowledgment of the problem.

Who knows, maybe Volvo might start fitting it to their trucks.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So with volvo introducing a similar system into some of their range, at least there appears to be acknowledgment of the problem.

Who knows, maybe Volvo might start fitting it to their trucks.
If they did it should have two arms, one that taps the driver on the shoulder and a second foam arm that is activated by the indicator and swings up from the near side with a huge foam "stop" hand on the end

D

Deleted member 1258

Like others I'd rather drivers paid attention than relied on technology, but I'm thinking that maybe the best use for this would be on lorries where it could be a good way of covering the blind spots.

sackville d

Veteran
Nope, the cyclist is undertaking the car. Car drivers always give us plenty of room, it's cyclists who cause the problems as we all know...
Silly me.That would explain his look of indignation

glasgowcyclist

Isn't this an admission from the motoring industry that too many drivers are incapable of behaving safely around cyclists and pedestrians?

I don't think it will make roads any safer at all; drivers will become reliant on the technology, expecting it to warn them rather than taking the trouble to actually look around for themselves.

I might support it if it was designed so that if the driver endangered another road user it would bring the car to a controlled stop and punch him in the face.

GC

Levo-Lon

Guru
Make using a mobile while driving a 12mth ban and £1000 fine. Then they would see more next time they drive. Make cyclist more acoutable for stupid riding as there often as bad

Top Bottom