Jagwire Elite Sealed cables and Shimano shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AlanW

Guru
I've decided to opt for the Jagwire Sealed cables on the new Ti build, but straight away I've hit a problem and its makes no mention of it on any of their instruction videos or the very vague paper instructions either?

They state that you should fit the "silver brass end cap" to the end of the outer brake cable that fits into the the shifter body as its helps keep the liner in place. But the end cap will not fit inside the R8000 Ultegra shifter body, the hole in the body just isn't large enough to accommodate it??

So does it need the end cap, because where can the liner go, it has a flanged end so it cannot go inside the outer cable, and it cannot go in the other direction?

Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you overcome it?

migrantwing

Veteran
I'm trying to picture your dilemma. Most Shimano STI's don't accommodate a ferrule in them. I think maybe a plastic ferrule will fit. Same with their (at least older models) brakes. The cable just sits in the barrel adjuster on the brake, with no need for a ferrule as Shimano has a built in ferrule within the brake barrel adjuster itself, As for the flared end of the liner, it just pushes all the way through the outer cable, with the flared end at the shifter end. But don't quote me. This is all from memory.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Correct, the Shimano cable has no ferrule at the shifter end, but the Jagwire instructions say to fit a "silver brass end cap" which they supply in the kit. However, its simply not possible.
I have TRP brakes fitted so I need to fit the plastic Jagwire ferrules there, but that isn't a problem. The liner passes through the cable adjuster and is cut 15mm from the adjuster and a rubber seal fitted.

migrantwing

Veteran
Try a plastic ferrule at the shifter end, instead of the silver brass end cap. If it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit. Sadly, there's nothing you can do about it.

migrantwing

Veteran
That doesn't fit either, so no option but to leave the ferrules off all together l guess.

Shame. I guess not. The cables won't be as sealed without the ferrules, but I've made my own sealed systems before (I refuse to pay the price Jagwire sealed systems cost now) and I've never had any problems. I just buy the liner from eBay and use the mid range Jagwire stuff with a few ferrules where I can fit them and long nosed rubber dirt seals/ferrules.

There was a time, only a few years ago, where you could buy a complete Road Pro kit (brake and gear with all the ferrules etc) for around £25. The liner from eBay would cost a few quid and a few long nosed rubber ferrules for a few quid, too. Now they sell the brake and gear separately for £20-25 each. I guess £40-60 a year isn't much for complete sealed cables, but I'm always skint :smile:

Last edited:

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
If the ferrule doesn't fit! It doesn't need one.
Some shifters/derailleurs don't need ferrules as the hole is a tight enough fit to prevent the outer cable end from splaying.

General rule of thumb:
If a ferrule fits then use one.
If it doesn't then it's not needed.

HTH

Globalti

Legendary Member
It would be good practice to grind the ends of the cable outers flat with a grinding wheel.

Top Bottom