Jagwire racer kit install

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lpoolck

Veteran
Hello I was wondering if anyone can inform me why on the instructions of the kit they have the pop (point of power) going into a calliper side pull brake yet on the instructions it states the pop should only be used for linear brakes?

ge2are2u.jpg

4apetuma.jpg

Also does anyone know what these are. The one on the left is made from rubber and it appear the wire goes through it but I can't think where it would go. It's about the side of three doughnuts but a bit fatter and you can squeeze it.

There is no mention on that part at all on the instructions. Maybe it goes between the end cap and pop for linear brakes? :confused:

usynynen.jpg

Any pointers would be appreciated. Cheers.

ricky1980

Regular
the one on the left is a barrel adjuster. goes on shifters cables to adjust shifter cabke tenaion. you bought a set of cables right? are u also replacing the shifter cables?

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Thanks for your help. It's similar to a barrel adjuster in looks but the rubber seems far to soft for it to practically work. You can fold and squeeze the rubber between your fingers. So I don't think it's that. You may be right but the rubber for me is really very soft.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Cheers. I've already watched that prior to starting and it doesn't inform you about either of the two things I have pictured or indeed the almighty 'pop'.

if you haven't realised already, the Jagwire kit is a waste of money and no better than standard shimano cables and outers. It doesn't actually make any difference if you fit the 'POP' or not, tbh... :smile:

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
The part on the right is a ferrule (sp) it shows it on the vid.

The part on the left, is there only the 1

No there is two of them.

So are they the ferrules to slot under the frame for the rear brake? Just they are other cable ends in the packs. Just a strange one as it has and angled cut on the smaller tube/part of it.

Too dark now to go out and have a quick fettle. :becool:

i have jagwire kit. that thing on the left doesnt feature. it looks a lot like a barrel adjuster casing which is rubbery.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Lpoolck

Lpoolck

Veteran
Went out in the end as this was bugging me. By process of elimination the thing next to the 'barrel casing' in my picture are the ferrules/cable ends to slip into the frame mounts on the underside of the frame leading to your rear brake. They are another two in the gear cable packaging for the mounts near the front wheel for the gear cable. Maybe the thing plastic tube will help keep any dirt out? Not sure why there is a 45 degree cut to it though.

The 'pop' are in this case not used as will be the barrel casings as they won't be large enough to go over my barrel adjuster.

Thanks for your help.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Having looked at the video, I have one general and one specific point:
1) Use the previous outer cable lengths AS A GUIDE. No assurance they had been (got) right in the first place (or when last replaced, if not by you).
2) In particular the rear brake cable/outer going past the seat post should not double bend (ie not up and then down): it should drop from the top tube on a gentle curve and be as short as possible.

Top Bottom