Jagwire Road Pro Cable Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

migrantwing

Veteran
Just received 2 of the above from an online store. The name is new but, supposedly, the kit is the same as the old Jagwire Racer cable kit. It's been a while since I bought a complete kit, but I'm sure that the old Jagwire kit had different bits than this new Road Pro kit. The instructions inside are for the older Racer kit and do not correspond with the new stuff (you'd think that they'd update the instructions).

Does anybody out there use the new Road Pro kit and, if so, give me some idea as to which ferrules go where?

TIA

VamP

Banned
If it's the same as mine, there are two bags, one with Gear parts, one with Brake parts. Choose whichever ferrule you like for your bike, there are more there than you need, just don't use Gear for Brake!

I think they're great kits, good value too.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Yeah, that's the one by the sounds of it. I just didn't understand what was with the nosed/open and the single gold coloured ferrule. The instructions are outdated and vague, to say the least.

Indeed, Jagwire always seems great stuff.

Cheers, VamP

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Basically you normally get plastic ferrules for Shifter end of gear cable (optional) and Down tube end of same gear cable together with a metal one for the Adjuster end of the rear mech gear cable (this is probably your gold one).

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
Hi, Pete. Hope all is well.

Plastic ferrules are what I have on my Shimano cables at the moment. With this Jagwire kit, all the ferrules are of Alloy and some are nosed, some are open and some are sealed. I'm guessing that they're just sticking in all the bits and pieces that you MAY require but don't necessarily need, (as @VamP stated) for instance, if you want to run fully sealed cables. Surely, though, they could have thrown a few metre lengths of Teflon liner in, so that you can actually use all the ferrules if you did want to run your cables fully sealed.

n4ji9y.png

New 'Road Pro' kit

2ym7p6o.png

Old 'Racer' kit

As I mentioned before, the text on the box says 'New Name, Same Racer' yet it's clearly not. I sent Jagwire an email stating that the instructions in the box are for the older Racer kits and that they should have spent a bit more cash on updating the instructions as they don't correspond with the newer kit. Looks like Jagwire have the same guy printing their instructions as do a well known Swedish furniture store :smile:

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I think the only main difference is the narrow sleeves in the centre. These go on the downtube fixings with the narrow tube being there to stop crud getting in - so just use them where the cable is open to the elements.

TBH I got something similar and just used my old ferrules which work quite nicely.

OP
OP
migrantwing

migrantwing

Veteran
I think I may just do that, Pete. I'm sure I have some plastic ferrules knocking about. It was just necessity and next day delivery that made me purchase this kit. Next time, I'll buy everything singularly.

Top Bottom