Jailing Killers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
No.

Ah. He killed two people, and got ten and a half years when the maximum sentence was fourteen.

And we are supposed to think increasing the maximum sentence is a good thing?

No one ever gets the maximum sentence anyway, across the whole of the British justice system, not just driving offences.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I don't know the facts of the case and have only that Mail article to go on but here goes...

I don't see how a harsher maximum sentence would have acted as a deterrent in this case. I can however imagine how an effective drug treatment program, which does not criminalise addicts, could have prevented this addict from becoming a killer.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Ah. He killed two people, and got ten and a half years when the maximum sentence was fourteen.

And we are supposed to think increasing the maximum sentence is a good thing?

No one ever gets the maximum sentence anyway, across the whole of the British justice system, not just driving offences.
I interpreted it that he got 20 years (is 10 a life sentence) and was ordered to serve concurrently, so serves 11.

That's effectively half his sentence.... Regardless...the longer this particular scrote is removed from society the better in my opinion...not as a punishment so much...more as security to the rest of us.

How many chances does a person deserve...69 convictions and was fleeing the police....allegedly.

Drago

Legendary Member
The longer those who kill are in prison, the longer the honest law having public are safe from them.

As Either deterrent or punishment I doubt it's terribly effective, but as a means of stopping the next person becoming a victim's it's very effective.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
was fleeing the police....allegedly.
I don't think there was any doubt he was fleeing the police. He took off when he saw the police car.

He has had numerous driving bans and ignored them. He was able to get behind the wheel really easily each time and wasn't deterred by any of his previous sentences. How do you stop that?

Prisons are full. Society wants everyone locked up yet are neither willing to pay for it nor live near new jails needed to be built.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I don't think there was any doubt he was fleeing the police. He took off when he saw the police car.

He has had numerous driving bans and ignored them. He was able to get behind the wheel really easily each time and wasn't deterred by any of his previous sentences. How do you stop that?
At a guess the change in VED rules will go some way, in that he can no longer buy a car with a valid VED and just drive it. The seller is responsible for making sure the details get to DVLA, he won't be able to get insurance so can't get tax. A roadside check will pick up the car. All we need is for him to have killed or ostracised all of his friends so that he can't borrow their cars, or get them to buy them for him. Simples. OK, probably doesn't make it any less likely at all...

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
The longer those who kill are in prison, the longer the honest law having public are safe from them.

As Either deterrent or punishment I doubt it's terribly effective, but as a means of stopping the next person becoming a victim's it's very effective.

The killers which society need protecting from have usually got a serious mental health condition or psychosis and are mainly committed to secure hospitals. Apart from terrorists I'm not sure what other kind of killers society needs protecting from

winjim

Smash the cistern
What does his addiction or your assumed lack of treatment ( as you don't know whether he was in treatment or not, or whether he'd refused treatment) got to do with anything? It doesn't say that his addiction was the cause of the fatal crash - he was fleeing from the police.
Well of course the short answer is I don't know. See the disclaimer at the top of my post, my use of the word imagine and my emphasis of the word could.

I do, however, find it plausible that it was his addiction that, either directly or indirectly, caused him to be in the situation where he killed those people. If he was already fleeing the police then any deterrent effect the criminal justice system may have has already been negated and it seems unlikely that he paused to consider his actions and any possible consequences, both for himself and for others, before taking flight.

I guess what I'm trying to do is offer a 'soft justice' approach which may be beneficial in cases such as this, as opposed to a 'hard justice' deterrent approach which I believe wouldn't be.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
At least it is better than the desultory slaps on the wrists others get but I guess his immense list of priors has had a lot to do with that. All the legislation in the world isn't going to stop someone like that driving when and how they want, short of cutting his arms and legs off I'm not sure what would.

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
As this discussion appears to be taking off, I'll offer this case for consideration. Judge says
"I hope everyone will do their best to bring to justice people who use phones when they are driving. It has to stop."

Yet sentence is five months suspended plus two year ban, for killing a motorcyclist.

http://m.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk...driver_admits_killing_motorcyclist/?ref=fbshr
I would rather see the driver having to pay compensation to the victims family (along with a long driving ban) than going to prison.

Top Bottom