Jamie Oliver: Every picture tells a story

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Perhaps Oliver was paying a living wage instead of the pittance often given to waiting and kitchen staff.

Everyone is a business expert at times such as these.

To be fair to Oliver, he gave it a good thrash.

Better to be a has been than a never was.

Chartered Accountant here !!!

His Manchester site is in one of the most expensive locations, and it's massive. It's a lovely building (old merchant bank), but the pricing structure (chain) can't have brought enough in even though it was relatively busy.

Even Rosso, across the road, is struggling (similar building style and size, owned by Rio Ferdinand) and that's a higher price point (they do deals before 5pm to keep the day traffic up).

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So it is your fault they have gone skint.

Oops. Sorry guys. :rolleyes:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I've always wondered why some TV chefs want to expand and have loads of restaurants. It's not as if one can turn up and see Jamie or Gordon or Rick Stein actually cooking in front of you. Without that, you're just paying for a name. I remember years ago going to one of Rick Stein's places; it was nothing short of posh fish and chips, twice the price of neighboring outlets and no better in terms of taste. I can understand wanting to expand your brand through TV shows and books, but if you're worth £xx million why take on such a huge enterprise?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Even Little Chef was forced to close after over sixty years. What hope had Jamie got?

Why did he take it on? Maybe he was on a mission from god.
Considering where he started out and how far he got, it would have been a little odd if the whole thing hadn't gone to his head. And tho' he is clearly a very talented cook, and a canny lad toboot, that doesn't necessarily equip you to be a great businessman.

Must admit to a soft spot - whatever else, before he started making waves, British schools were routinely serving up turkey twizzlers to the kids in their charge. They don't do that anymore, and Jamie is pretty much single-handedly responsible. In fact, he's probably done more for the future health of the nation than anyone else - a fact for which I don't think he's got quite the recognition he deserves, simply because so many are put off by his mouthy image. Good for you, Jamie - the boy dun good!

The trouble is that there is so much competition (generally) and to survive you have to go the extra mile. Trading on a name is not enough these days (was it ever ?) Restaurants come and go. A new one starts up, everyone wants to go there and try it because it is the new kid in town. So, for a time it does OK if it is lucky. Then a new new one opens up and people shift their custom over to that one and so the ball runs along. People are more savvy these days in how they spend their money and want value. If they are going to dish up small portions what do they expect ? If you have a bad meal or at best a mediocre meal you are unlikely to go back, instead you try somewhere else. Of course it is sad for the countless staff who have probably worked very hard and long hours, as is the territory in the catering business.

D

Deleted member 26715

We had a sort of similar situation in the village we have 3 pubs, 1st is a drinking pub no food, 2nd a mainly drinking but serves nice meals, 3rd couldn't find it's place, it's had numerous landlords/ladies but nobody stuck at it until a guy & his family came along, he concentrated on the food & made drinking as a side business. He was very successful, so much so he decided to open a 2nd pub somewhere else as well, he went there & left his son to to run this one, 12 months later this one is closed down, the quality went down & people stopped going back.

We had a sort of similar situation in the village we have 3 pubs, 1st is a drinking pub no food, 2nd a mainly drinking but serves nice meals, 3rd couldn't find it's place, it's had numerous landlords/ladies but nobody stuck at it until a guy & his family came along, he concentrated on the food & made drinking as a side business. He was very successful, so much so he decided to open a 2nd pub somewhere else as well, he went there & left his son to to run this one, 12 months later this one is closed down, the quality went down & people stopped going back.
That sounds like a very familiar theme. I think sometimes one should appreciate what they have and enjoy it. Letting someone else run it is as sure as putting a nail in a coffin IMO.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I have eaten at Jamie's Italian in Upper Street Islington. It was as others have said quite noisy. The food although quite tasty was nothing special, and the portions weren't that big. The sauce seemed formulaic as if from a big vat of industrially made stuff and didn't have that home/fresh cooked taste.
The Norwich one was in quite a cool building (the Royal Arcade) and when it opened, stuff did taste fresh cooked. Second visit, it was OK but the dishes seemed more like prepack, but I thought maybe that was just what we'd chosen. Last time was the same... After that, I pretty much reverted to my usual haunts of the Belgian Monk, The Waffle House and whatever that pub on St Andrew's Plain is called (formerly O'Neill's).

The Norwich one was in quite a cool building (the Royal Arcade) and when it opened, stuff did taste fresh cooked. Second visit, it was OK but the dishes seemed more like prepack, but I thought maybe that was just what we'd chosen. Last time was the same... After that, I pretty much reverted to my usual haunts of the Belgian Monk, The Waffle House and whatever that pub on St Andrew's Plain is called (formerly O'Neill's).
So what it boils down to then is that they don`t need a chef once up and running, just someone who knows how to use a microwave. There can`t be many people who don`t !

Top Bottom