Jamis Allegro Elite v Specialized Sirrus Comp v Whyte Stirling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mikeIow

Guru
Hi there,
Still agonising over a "Ride2Work" bike to replace my ancient Marin hybrid. A chance to get an otherwise "too expensive" model for a reasonable monthly outlay ! I'd appreciate any thoughts on this :-)

I spent a few hot minutes on Friday testing a couple at Evans (helpful folks!) - of course no store has all bikes I am interested in, so it's hard work ! (& living no-where near a store makes it hard to test !)

Tested the Jamis - very comfortable, as well as the cheapest I am considering - very possible, also leaves some money for extra (rack/panniers etc).

Also tried the Sirrus: similarly comfortable, SRAM gears a little different.....very wide & straight bars, not convinced it was nicer for the extra money (but a bigger name perhaps).

Haven't yet ridden a Whyte, although did see one: that would blow the budget on the entire bike, but a very lightweight bike ! Read some tales of spoke issues with them,,,,,& would need to add some dosh of my own to add a rack & perhaps get more 'mild trail friendly' tyres (like the Sirrus, the stock tyres were very "smooth".

Anyone any views on any of these ones ? Jamis in the lead for now !!

Also looked at some Trek ones, didn't feel quite so lightweight in the store (I know weight isn't everything, but I rate it!)

redcard

Veteran
Can't really recommend a particular bike, but I would get the best you can afford. You can always buy panniers a month or two later, or start off with budget ones. No point spending less on the bike only to regret it a few months later.

If it was me, I would go for the lightest one in my price bracket.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
that was kind of my thinking......although having tested a £900 ridgeback as well, I preferred the £675 Jamis (& it 'felt' lighter too !!).....it did show me how important it is to test the darned things (if only we had an Evans in Leicester !!). & yes, I know I can add bits, but equally if I can get them in the 'work' scheme, that also makes sense !

thanks!

monnet

Guru
The Whyte's are cracking bikes. As an alternative to blowing your whole budget on the bike and getting add ons later, why not drop down to the Whyte Cambridge or Portobello, both are also very good bikes, just a smidge heavier (which if you're chucking panniers etc on, then a kilo won't make too much difference).

heppy

Regular
I can't comment on the whyte, but have both the Jamis and the Sirrus.

I use the Jamis with a rack for my daily commute of around 9 miles and it is very capable, comfortable and speedy. I use the sirrus on a weekend when I want something a bit more sporty, with the thinner tyres (28mm as opposed to 32mm) and being lighter and better gears IMO it is a harsher ride for commuting but easier to get a decent pace going.

I like them both but for different reasons, i guess it depends if you want just a commuter or a bike for all of your needs?

I cannot recommend trying for yourself enough though as you will feel the right bike when you are on it.

Good luck

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
thx, yup, understand.....for me it is actually more a weekender (longer but less frequent rides).....and I know what you meant about trying them, even 5 minutes on a bike can certainly give you a good impression !
cheers

anyuser

Über Member
I have a Stirling 2011 model and have had no spoke issues (touch wood) and have done about 2000 miles commuting. I would say though that even the 25mm tyres fitted don't give a lot of clearance behind the bottom bracket so don't think you could go above 28mm. It is light and fast though

heppy

Regular
Just to add something else, I have now taken to using the saddle and seat post from the Jamis on my Sirrus as when I got on the Sirrus after a weeks commuting on the Jamis I couldn't ride for more than 4.5 miles without being in severe pain.

All is well now sharing a saddle :-)

GeorgeZip

Über Member
I can't comment on the Jamis but I picked a 2012 Stirling the other week with my cyclescheme voucher. I've only done just over 100 miles so far but no issue as of yet with the spokes and I'm currently weighing in around 19st.... Tried putting a Tortec Velocity rack on the back but found my heals catch the Ortlieb roller bags I've got.

Love the bike, it does feel effortless and knocked 3 minutes off morning commute to work. My other steed is a Spesh Tricross comp 2010 which has much much closer gearing than the Stirling. In fact on the stirling I've found that 90% of my riding is done on the big ring.

I did change the grips to Ergon GP2's as I found the angle was putting pressure on my hands compared to riding on the horns on the Tricross or my wider barred Giant Talon 0 mtb.

anyuser

Über Member
Is there a spoke fairy? :sad: I broke a rear,drive side last night. it has snapped off where it exits the nipple. I think I spoke ^_^ too soon in my earlier reply.

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
Sorry to hear I have doomed your spokes to eternal snapping :-(

Well, I'm now none the wiser !
I had a short ride on a Sterling today....very light, very nice looking....I can understand changing the grips, they were nothing special.​
However, the "splayed" rear frame (custom rear dropout, I think they call it) knocked my heels a few times. Of course I hadn't got toe-clips fitted (I don't have SPD's or other clip-in's), & I was in work clothes/shoes (not even my trainers), so I can't be 100% certain it would knock in reality.....but it was weird enough to make me think "hmmmm.....no, probably not" :-(​
& naturally I compared it with a Jamis Allegro Elite in the store & the Jamis suddenly felt *really* heavy - I think it is 4lbs heavier (24 v 20) :-(​
the search continues......perhaps I'll wait until Evans open a store in Leicester & make it easier for me to sort out !​
thx for all the comments.​

anyuser

Über Member
I had the same issue with heels when test riding with my trainers, but with my proper cycling shoes (clipless) it is not an issue at all. Now I need to go measure the spoke length...

OP
OP
mikeIow

mikeIow

Guru
thx for the confirmation it wasn't me going mad (although I was a little less self-doubting when the chap looked at it & said "yes, the *do* go out a lot, don't they" !)
good luck with the spokes (buy a spare ;-)

Top Bottom