Jammed Mortice Lock.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you are not trying to be stealthy, are not worried about drawing attention to yourself, or about making a noise, you have a considerably larger potential array of tools at your disposal compared to Burglar Bill.

What's the garage made of? If timber, try forcing the door and frame apart with a big pry bar.

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I'd say the spade is probably in the shed.

You should ALWAYS have a spade at hand. You just never know when you’ll need it.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Oil as said ,little tap with a hammer or brick etc if tools are locked away.
Its most likely just siezed.

If that fails look at hinges and alternative methods before going full SWAT on it

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
[QUOTE 5463761, member: 9609"]not intended - I actually no someone who made this mistake. Sometimes you just have to stop looking for the big answer, have a cup of tea, and start right from the beginning.

So definitely not trying to be sarky,

my next step would be to just keep fiddling with the key, try to give the whole thing a good rattle with a hammer. can you force the key with some molegrips?

then as others have said, if its an outward opening door can you knock the hinge pins out, then it would be drill it or cut the mortice with the angle grinder.[/QUOTE]

Riever old bean. I was yanking your chain. It was me being cheeky.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I can get into the garage from the front so no problem there. I have tried lifting the door but it is definitely the lock that has jammed. If the oil doesn't work I'll attack the hinges.

If it's been getting stiffer for a while then the oiling / lifting suggestions may work. Try them anyway.
If it's happened all of a sudden and attempts to turn the key fail in a way that it feels "hard" I reckon something has broken in the lock, and it will need assertive treatment. Since you have access to the inside, a thin slitting disc would be the option I'd choose.

Top Bottom