Japenglish

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From the instruction booklet of a Minoura turbo trainer :-
NOTE ON HIGH SPEED TRAINING

This magnetic resistance device may be able to realize you such an impossible situation as you can run at over 35 MPH speed easily because your tire doesn’t contact the earth, but only the rollers.
As you know, in fact, there is no way when you ride on the road, but you can do it on this Inter-Rim Ergo trainer with lowest resistance load force and high gear ratio.
And such a stupid high speed training may cause a problem on bearings and/or shaft.
This magnetic resistance device is designed for usual training under 35 MPH (56 KPH) speed, so you should keep your training speed under the limit.
If there is an awful noise or vibration from your magnetic resistance device during your training, please contact your purchased dealer or Minoura immediately.

I love it :biggrin:
- 'such a stupid high speed training...'
- 'if there is an awful noise...'

Ha ha - the obvious solution is to lend it to bonj for a month - he'll sort it out!:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've managed 46 on a real nasty downhill (according to max speed on comp, if i'd seen that at the time i'd have probably fallen off!), would that signal the end of the world as they know it?

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Translating does throw up some mistakes and transliterations can throw up more. My wife's name has only one spelling in Thai but depending on which transliteration system is used throws up either 'Goy', 'Goi', 'Koy' or 'Koi'. Whilst things may look strange in English, they are correct in the native language.
Years ago, someone was experimenting with translating Russian to English by computer - input a phrase in English, translate it into Russian and then back to English - simple! The phrase 'Out of sight, out of mind' into Russian and back to English came out as 'Invisible, insane'; in a way it is right but at the same time it is completely wrong!

This kind of thing is often translated by technical types who are good at english too. I've used a lot of service manuals which have been created in Japanese and then translated by some impossibly clever person who not only understands the technology but can also translate specific technical stuff into another language. All so some useless oik like me can be let loose on expensive kit he doesn't understand :biggrin:.

bonj2

What actually is the point in a turbo trainer? Why don't you just cycle outside where you can watch the scenery go by? Are you really that addicted to eastenders that you have to watch it while cycling?`

Smeggers

bonj said:
What actually is the point in a turbo trainer? Why don't you just cycle outside where you can watch the scenery go by? Are you really that addicted to eastenders that you have to watch it while cycling?`
stationary bike = gym = totty. end of. :biggrin:

bonj2

Smeggers said:
stationary bike = gym = totty. end of. :biggrin:

yeah but the stationary bikes in a gym are only ever going to be stationary, for people who haven't got real bikes. Buying a real bike only to then use it on a turbo trainer is a bit gay. Especially when you have to buy the turbo trainer extra.

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
yeah but the stationary bikes in a gym are only ever going to be stationary, for people who haven't got real bikes. Buying a real bike only to then use it on a turbo trainer is a bit gay. Especially when you have to buy the turbo trainer extra.

Who said anything about only using a bike on a trainer? I understood that you put your bike on it to train when it's horrible out, or you need to be at home for some reason, and then take it off to ride outside.

I'd get one, but I'm on the top floor, and I hear they're noisy for the people below. Otherwise, I could bring my trike up to the flat, bung it in and have an exercise armchair! Although, getting the trike up two flights of stairs might be a bit of a bind...

Top Bottom