Jay-sus!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Origamist said:
And you go back and forward and the waters are muddied and it becomes less about what the driver did, and more about what you did. I've been there...

So have I. Many have in fact. If it was clear cut we'd hear a lot more about either drivers being prosecuted (or cyclists in fact)

The point is a good officer will be able to understand and decifer (sp?). Esp if they cycle or ride a motorbike.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The denoument...

The registered keeper of the vehicle got a letter the gist of which was "steady on".

I got spoken to, very politely, very professionally, about the appropriateness or otherwise of my 'reflex reaction', as termed by the plod, and the conversation ended with a big grin, a wink, and a very off the record comment by the copper about what he might have done in the circumstances.

Case closed.

Arch

Married to Night Train
GregCollins said:
The denoument...

The registered keeper of the vehicle got a letter the gist of which was "steady on".

I got spoken to, very politely, very professionally, about the appropriateness or otherwise of my 'reflex reaction', as termed by the plod, and the conversation ended with a big grin, a wink, and a very off the record comment by the copper about what he might have done in the circumstances.

Case closed.

Excellent. Also consider that the registered keeper will probably be on the way to an apoplectic ulcer...;)

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Good result. To be fair, rightly or wrongly, I would have probably kicked the door if I were in that situation.

Big, Expensive cars do tend to overtake closer and more slowly here too... :/

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
AndyCarolan said:
Good result. To be fair, rightly or wrongly, I would have probably kicked the door if I were in that situation.

Big, Expensive cars do tend to overtake closer and more slowly here too... :/

They have big expensive cars in Norwich?;)

NigC

That's probably about the best result that could be expected.

One thing's for sure: She'll certainly think very carefully the next time she's overtaking a cyclist, which can only be good ;)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
NigC said:
That's probably about the best result that could be expected.

One thing's for sure: She'll certainly think very carefully the next time she's overtaking a cyclist, which can only be good :smile:

Gave me a very wide berth last week.....;):laugh::hugs:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Pretty much what I thought would happen - glad that you got an understanding police officer though.

Mrs Browser has had a habit, in the past, of overtaking cyclists like that i.e. slow right down, make you speed differential about 5mph then pass, not leaving much room. This was before I cycled regularly and believe me, she'll have it politely explained if she does it again.
I think the logic is that if they're passing slowly it's less dangerous than passing quickly, despite the fact that she seemed to be able to equisitely time it so that the oncoming vehicle (there was always an oncoming vehicle) was passing the cyclist ans the exact moment the pillar between her front & rear doors was level with the cyclists body. I won;t rant or shout, I'll simply ask her (a nervous cyclist in traffic) how she'd feel being passed like that!
Good to see you got a sympathetic result from the police. Don't forget, next time you didn't hit her door, you swerved to avoid an object in the road and she was so close you couldn't avoid hitting her car!

thomas

the tank engine
Origamist said:
Sounds nasty Greg - glad you're OK.

Without wanting to sound too pessimistic, I hope they don't go after you for criminal damage too.

if it had been the boot it'd be more likely imo....hopefully not in this case. Quite frankly, either hitting or kicking can be an involuntary reaction in those types of situations.

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
downfader said:
Sadly some drivers forget that the 2 second rule applies to when they wait behind cyclists for a safe overtaking opportunity. Many also fail to check their speedo before to establish if overtaking is even necessary.

You have my sympathies.

If the police ask about the boot you need to tell them "I needed both hands to brake, removing them would have seriously endangered me further!" A boot, like a palm slap to the roof of the car is a last moment proximity warning - I know many motorbikers who've used both after stupid overtakes.

You also have to explain to (hopefully a traffic officer) that if she was close enough to come into contact with the boot then she was FAR too close and failed rule 163 of the HCode and the general guidence of the 3 foot campaign.

Good luck!

Downfader, I can't believe you are coaching Greg in what to say, possibly in a court of law. Putting a defensive case in his mind before being interviewed is highly illegal. That's my job I'm the forum tame copper!:smile:

Top Bottom