Jazz Music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Miff Mole

Behave! I forgot that this thread was a casualty of the switchover. Which means I get Poggy Pogson this time...

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Colorblind James was a great musician and wickedly funny guy. Track down "A Different Bob". You never know whether to howl with laughter or cry...

And at one point he had a guitarist called...

Uncle Phil Bailey

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Have we mentioned Wales's greatest ever drummer... Caerphilly Joe Jones? You should hear his solo on April in Powys.

Ah... is that my coat? Thanks...

U

User169

Behave! I forgot that this thread was a casualty of the switchover. Which means I get Poggy Pogson this time...
;)

And still my favourite...Spanky LeBrest

(best pronounced a la Captain Alberto Bertorelli )

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I think you'll find that's 'Jo' not 'Joe'...:rofl:

Sorry, sorry sorry! Couldn't resist it - I love you...no, :surrender: not the face :B):B):B) Argghh!

:smile:

I think you'll find it isn't, unless you're confusing Philly Joe with Jo Jones of Basie band and hi-hat innovation fame. :girl:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
;)

And still my favourite...Spanky LeBrest

(best pronounced a la Captain Alberto Bertorelli )

He's a good one. And for those that continue to miss the point of the thread, I'll have to repeat:

Wingy Manone
Muggsy Spanier
Pee Wee Marquette
Eddie Cleanhead Vinson
and Clarence Pinetop Smith

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I'm not playing - you jazz aficionados are kind of touchy.

Chris P. Bacon

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
A few years ago I saw the incredible Tal Farlow. The first time, he was touring with Red Norvo. Tal had been with Red and Charlie Mingus in the Red Norvo trio. They picked up a bass player at which ever jazz club they played. I went up to Halifax to see them. The bass player they found there was amazing. Never did find out who he was. :thumbsup:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I'm not playing either 3drumsmcginty - I'll join you in the pub and all that jazz...:sad:

Me confused? Never! Eh? :rolleyes: (I only ever knew Philly Jo Spears and I thought he was a singer with a girly timbre c/w Texas twang)

Right. A quick lesson. Jo and Philly Joe are not related, but they are both great drummers. So is Elvin , but he is related. No to Jo or Philly Joe, But to Hank and Thad , who are also great, but not drummers. Max Roach is not related to any of them, but he is a great drummer and does have a park named after him in Brixton. Allan Jones and Jack Jones are nothing to do with any of it, but they are father and son, and one of them was in some Marx Brothers movies. Groucho is not, to my knowledge, related to Karl, and Chico played the piano, not the drums. Have you got all that? I will be quizzing you on the FNRttC (Genteel).

Right. A quick lesson. Jo and Philly Joe are not related, but they are both great drummers. So is Elvin , but he is related. No to Jo or Philly Joe, But to Hank and Thad , who are also great, but not drummers. Max Roach is not related to any of them, but he is a great drummer and does have a park named after him in Brixton. Allan Jones and Jack Jones are nothing to do with any of it, but they are father and son, and one of them was in some Marx Brothers movies. Groucho is not, to my knowledge, related to Karl, and Chico played the piano, not the drums. Have you got all that? I will be quizzing you on the FNRttC (Genteel).

Think so. Buddy Rich (ah! - 'Jumpin at the Woodside' - with my Nuttals Mintoes tins covered in plastic bags, stretched with elastic bands + my Mum's biggest knitting needles + a couple of small boilwashing saucepans for high notes...) and Ed Thigpen were another two on my ancient list...Ginger Baker sort of figured for a while until Billy Cobham blew everyone away. I gave up drumming at an early age though - I'm sure the technology has advanced no end since the days of 'Olympic F's. They would probably sound a bit more like "Olyimpic FFS" if I tried now! :biggrin:

Top Bottom