Jeeesus!!!... (and breath)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
So I'm cycle commuting today. Nice day. Be a shame not to? So I live in Maltby and I'm heading out on a run to Chapeltown. Given myself plenty of time, 1.5 hours for a 50 minute journey. I've gotten to this point
link

As you can see, theres a ped island, just before a bus stop. As I'm approaching a shoulder check shows a bus passing, which pulls in. I'm planning to pass the bus, so another check shows WVM. He passes but the vehicle behinds leaving a gap as I move from a strong secondary to primary and over to the RHS of the lane. WVM has already stopped straight behind the bus, brake lights on. There's not much between the rear of the bus and the island.
So I'm now passing WVM, increasing speed and checking the indicators of the bus.
WVM floors it and moves right to overtake the bus.......
I wish I knew what I shouted. I just know I did. There's contact with the van, followed by rear wheel contact with the pedestrian island. I'm now attempting to keep the bike upright and moving forward, although forward is not necessarily a good idea - I'm now over the hatched area and in the right hand lane.... Oh yeah, there's oncoming traffic.
Luckily though it's not that close, there's a gap and the next drivers actually road aware. I end up alongside the RH kerb, lift the bike onto the pavement.
I'm OK. MASSIVE adrenaline rush... check over the bike and exchange 'yeah I'm OK with the witness drivers who've pulled up.
Chains off, brakes sticking?
Guy eventually comes over. I'm thinking keep calm, if you start to let rip... you'll not stop. The guys apologetic, keeps coming out cliches that I have to keep my gob shut.
"It'sa bad road layout" (no, and you probably drive it every day)
"Sorry, its one of those things" (what one of those things where you don't 'mirror/signal/manouvre'?)
and the best
'I cycle too' (WTF - then you should be more aware, especially as you had to adjust your road position to get round me a couple of seconds before you pulled up)
Anyway, no damage to me, no damage to bike. I don't want to talk. I'm figuring the way I feel I'm not in the ideal frame of mind to cycle. Best thing I can do is get back on the bike, cycle back the mile and a half, get the grease off my hands, get changed, chill for a bit and get the car.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Why did you need to squeeze between the van and the island, when the van was waiting behind the bus to see if it was clear to pull round it?

BSRU

A Human Being
With perfect hindsight:tongue:, I do not think I would have attempted to overtake WVM waiting behind the bus, I too often see road users suddenly, without warning, make stupid manoeuvres near buses and junctions.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
From the description I'd say there was fault on both sides and I'd take it as a lesson in recognising when to hold back. After all, you weren't in any rush since you describe having allowed 1.5 hours for a 50-minute journey.

Glad you weren't injured.

GC

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
It wasn't a squeeze and I don't think I described it as such? He was straight behind the bus.
It's a route I drive and cycle regularly and 99.9% of the time there'd be no space for a car to pass round. As I said, I'd assessed the situation as I approached and the car was stood, with his brakes lights on.
IMO it was just a normal right hand overtake/filter past stood traffic. He'd still have hit me if the island wasn't there.

Gez73

Veteran
I'd never try to pass anything (eps a white van) that's stationary behind a bus. Many drivers sit there waiting for the bus to signal to pull out and in the blink of an eye, without any indication decide that the queue to board/disembark the bus is too long and they decide there's plenty of time and nothing oncoming so they can pull out themselves around the bus. I would hang back myself particularly with an island in the road ahead. I rarely pass on the right except on one stretch of my commute where traffic is stationary and likely to remain that way. Even then I'm dead careful and cycle at a very reduced speed. Vehicles stuck in traffic have a rather annoying habit of changing their minds and direction when they get bored waiting. Glad you're ok, You'll remember this one next time! Gez

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
90% of the time I'll pass on the right. I don't like travelling between passenger doors and the pavement.
I've been cycling along here for the last 6 years. Driving along it for the last 25.
It's not a situation where one has to carry out an assessment of oncoming traffic.
He has no real need to see if he can go, the middle of the road is hatched. The limiting factor is the relative positions of the bus rear and the ped island. It's a "GO" or "NO-GO" situation, which you can assess on the approach. I was 3-4 seconds behind him and used it to ascertain if he was moving on or stopping. He'd slowed on the approach and had been stood, square behind the bus, for a couple of seconds with his brake lights on.

Top Bottom