Jigsaws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
There's cake recipes on there. When you get stuck you can go off and bake a cake :smile:

Quite pleased I don't have any jigsaws in the house. I'd never get anything done!

Just completed the Big Issue sudoko - only the second time I've ever managed it!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Talk me through this and humour me.
It is sat on a heavy coffee table.
I cover it with cling film so it wont fall apart. Good idea that, thanks.
Do I then upturn it onto the floor?
How do I then glue it to the board?

Leave it flat, slide it onto some newspaper or greaseproof paper (just to protect the table from any drips), then seal the top surface with puzzle adhesive. You can buy it in Hobbycraft or at Amazon. I've done a couple with that stuff. Here's one that my daughter wanted to save:

20200410_094556.jpg

20200410_094241.jpg

Edit: You paint the sealant onto the front of the puzzle and it seeps into the joints.
If the table is too small to move the puzzle, slide the greaseproof paper under the puzzle without moving it.

Once it's sealed with adhesive (and dry) you can move it, so glue it to board, frame it, whatever you fancy.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Talk me through this and humour me.
It is sat on a heavy coffee table.
I cover it with cling film so it wont fall apart. Good idea that, thanks.
Do I then upturn it onto the floor?
How do I then glue it to the board?
I'd edited my post after the cling film bit!

Archie_tect

I only do jigsaws of photos, paintings are awful because the artists, who jigsaw-makers can afford to paint the type of scenes they use, do vague 'chocolate-box' sentimental scenes and tend not to vary their colour hues enough so a blue sky is exactly the same colour right across the painting and all the tress are painted in the same greens everywhere...

Photos are great because of the subtle hue changes make skies and seas much easier!

[I do have other jig-saw rants to come...:laugh:]

Dave7

Legendary Member
Leave it flat, slide it onto some newspaper or greaseproof paper (just to protect the table from any drips), then seal the top surface with puzzle adhesive. You can buy it in Hobbycraft or at Amazon. I've done a couple with that stuff. Here's one that my daughter wanted to save:

View attachment 513887

View attachment 513888

Edit: You paint the sealant onto the front of the puzzle and it seeps into the joints.
If the table is too small to move the puzzle, slide the greaseproof paper under the puzzle without moving it.

Once it's sealed with adhesive (and dry) you can move it, so glue it to board, frame it, whatever you fancy.
Right.... I can now see this happening.
Sorry @stephec but you may not get your £250 ^_^

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
20200410_100253.jpg

I think this was one of my favourites, it's a Pixar artist's desk, 1000 pieces, and was just right in terms of challenge.
And they employed a good artist to paint it, possibly one of the few exceptions to @Archie_tect 's very true rule!

Archie_tect

We got a Quality Street jigsaw as a Christmas present a couple of years ago- took months and I vowed never to do it again... I turned it over and I wrote a letter and number reference for the row and column of each piece on the back of the completed puzzle so that if I ever got bored senseless and did it again I'd do it upside down finding the reference code on the back of each piece to then turn it over to reveal the finished jigsaw.

Alex H

Legendary Member
I only do jigsaws of photos, paintings are awful because the artists, who jigsaw-makers can afford to paint the type of scenes they use, do vague 'chocolate-box' sentimental scenes and tend not to vary their colour hues enough so a blue sky is exactly the same colour right across the painting and all the tress are painted in the same greens everywhere...

Photos are great because of the subtle hue changes make skies and seas much easier!

[I do have other jig-saw rants to come...:laugh:]

Indeed - Thomas Kincade - Painter of Light (allegedly!)

I think a jigsaw should be made such that you can pick up a piece, look at the finished picture and find a place it will probably fit.

NOT

"Well, that's a blue bit so it should connect to one of the other 999 blue bits" (see above)

Our preference is for clear artwork / cartoon / photo, not wishy-washy oil paintings.

Favourite artists - Mike Jupp and Colin Thompson.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
For anyone who starts with edges and corners, try one from Wentworth puzzles. Straight lines and right angles are often in the middle of the puzzle, and the actual corners may be made up of two pieces with 30 and 60 degree angles. They usually have several "whimsy" pieces, shaped to match the theme of the puzzle, e.g. a garden picture might have whimsies in the shape of wheelbarrow, spade, trowel etc.
They're designed and made in Wiltshire, and backed on plywood, so they're pretty durable.

I have no connection with the firm, but snaffle puzzles whenever I see them in charity shops.

Top Bottom