Jinxed surely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k turner

I feel jinxed. After three weeks of trouble, got the money back guarantee and exchanged my new bike. On Saturday. Had a nice half hour on Sunday and again Monday.:eek:

Doing supper at about 8pm and the cats and dog came screaming out of the lounge and there was a loud hissing like a kettle, electrics, snake gone wrong or something. Rushed in there and my 2 day old bike had a front wheel blowout all on its own. ;)

Good job it didnt happen at 5pm when I was coming home downhill!:eek:

Would the brakes still work if I was on it, and would you loose control like a car? :eek: This is my replacement that cost twice as much as the first one. :eek:

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Just spent 3 hours fixing it and the pump is broken (also new). Took half an hour getting the quick release wheel off, kept getting attacked by the gear cogs and sharp bits on the pedals, till I turned the bike on its head.

Fixed the puncture twice after watching Bicycle Tutor video twice. Eventually discovered the first patch worked the pump is bust. Took another half hour trying the get the quick release wheel back on.

Have to take the wheel off tomorrow and take the two buses to the shop. Definately getting solid inner tubes or tyres or something, cant be doing with this fuss all the time. I hadnt even gone over anything it broke at the valve.

What about solid tyres, or that foam stuff they told me about?

shimano

you seem a little unlucky these days - it would be interesting if an independent could determine the cause of this blowout, sheer bad luck or an installation/manufacturing problem. As for the consequences whilst riding, probably not too dramatic given the sidewall height of a bike tyre but then again it would really be determined by what was happening at the time. The brakes operate against the wheel so they'd work but the tyre wouldn't be able to do its job properly so - fingers crossed time!

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

phixon - I just left the room and cats were sleeping on the chair, and it is on the metal side of the tube.

shimano - so falling is the same as being thrown from a horse onto the tarmac then? used to that. glad the brakes would still work, at least you may be able to slow down a little then.

what about new innards on this thing?

yenrod

:k turner

Lets start from the begining.

Not being funny either.

Remove tyre from rim with one or 2 levers.

Then remove inner tube - pump up inner tube and move tube around in your hands to listen for the HISS (by your ear) !

Take crayon (usually yellow) and mark where hole is !!!

Then, remove a patch (if your to patch the tube) from the punc. repair kit and take the glue.

Apply the glue to a section to an area bigger than the patch your to apply, on the tube.

Leave for about 10secs then blow on the glue...

Then Peel the backing off the rubber section of the patch.

Apply patch - pressing firmly: smoothing down the sides !

Ideally leave tube and place hole free / tube that isnt punctured, into the tyre.

Fit tyre onto rim.

Blow tyre up to desired level !

;)

OR

>...forget the above, check the tyre for glass etc and fit new tube ! :eek:

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

you left out taking the wheel on and off and a working pump.

hole is like a tear about 5mm away from the valve on the valve side, so nothing went through the tyre. the tear was up against the metal rim.

by the way the valve kept disappearing when I pushed the pump on it, so I had to hold it through the tyre all the time, is that the right way to do it?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

schooch- actually he is a pony so not much higher than the bike and the determination is necessity in disguise, little blighter needs feeding twice a day which is why I got the bike when I sold the car. So I am cheating really, ..... I wish I had this much determination at school with studying. Very long ago now, so no use crying over spilt milk.

What about the tube fillings or solids guys?

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
k turner said:
by the way the valve kept disappearing when I pushed the pump on it, so I had to hold it through the tyre all the time, is that the right way to do it?
There should be a little lock ring which screws round the base of the valve to stop it slipping through.

yenrod

k turner said:

hole is like a tear about 5mm away from the valve on the valve side, so nothing went through the tyre. the tear was up against the metal rim.

When youve got the tyre and tube off check the rim to see if all the hole where the spoke nipple go are all covered - ive had that in the past and this could be your cause !

If so, get some 'rim tape' OR try electrical/sellotape tape as a temp. fix.

If the valve keeps disappearing whe you pump the tube/tyre - put a small round thing..onto the valve prior to inflation.

ITS The silver thing on this

notubes%20ust%20valve%20system%20ind.jpg

That 'll stop it moving around !

shimano

'There should be a little lock ring which screws round the base of the valve stop it slipping through.'
- not on any schrader (car type) valve I've seen lately - you gotta hold it 'til it's hard (the inner tube that is...)

Shaun

Founder
k turner said:

Could be the tube got pinched between the rim and tyre? That happens sometimes. To avoid it when re-fitting, put a bit of air in the tube, then squeeze the tyre between fingers and thumb all the way around, visually checking the edge of the tyre / rim for black tube rubber poking out.

The disappearing valve can be a PITA too, especially when there isn't enough air pressure to keep it firmly in place. Use the thin valve nut to keep it from heading back through the rim, and eventually the air pressure will be enough to keep it in place.

The valve rubber is a common pinch-point, so before securing the valve with the nut, push it back into the tyre and then back out again - this will help to stop the edges of the tyre pinching the slightly thicker rubber around the valve.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Shaun :ohmy:

Edit: Yenners beat me to it .. :biggrin:

Top Bottom