Jinxed surely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Yenrod - thanks, two questions answered in one.

I suspected the rim, as he says to check on the video, but I had done it twice and just got it back on when I remembered and it was 11pm so enough frustration for one day. It is still half flat as the pump doesnt work. I will get two of those nut looking things from the shop tomorrow.

So if the tyre didnt get a puncture I just need to stock up on tubes in case, but you dont like the solid tyre/tube or filler?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

Admin - thanks for the extra tips.

Bagy - at least bikes dont go six foot up in the air when you pass a suspect wheely bin, or spin for home at the first dog bark. lol.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
shimano said:
not on any schrader (car type) valve I've seen lately - you gotta hold it 'til it's hard (the inner tube that is...)
:ohmy:
We've had a batch of schrader specialized tubes and they all have the lock ring - must vary by each type of tube.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

I didnt know changing a tyre/tube/leak would take so long and be so complicated, my dad did it when we were kids.

How long does it take you guys?

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

schoosh obviously you dont ride everyday then?

Bagy I was thinking spare bike tonight :ohmy:

read the puncture prevention and is sounds like Marathons, how much are they and where do I get them in UK?

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
No, currently recovering (too slowly :biggrin:) from a wee wrist op and can only go on the turbo :ohmy:
In any case I do have a 15+yr old hybrid and the 25? yr old Peugot.
Looking to get something new (and flashy :smile:) when the wrist starts to behave itself

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I would add just one thing to Yenrod's "how to" post: before you put the repaired/new inner tube back in give it four or five pumps of air so that it has form but is still very flexible and mainly so that it tucks up into the tyre. Secondly, when you're putting the inner tube in, you have got one side of the tyre within the rims, haven't you. Once you've got the tube in the tyre, get the valve protruding nicely and use the threaded ring to hold it in place. Now it's just a matter of levering the second side of the tyre back on. This is easy enough until you come to the last bit where it's a matter of strength and not being gentle.

One final thing: there is an optimal gear setting to use before taking the rear wheel off: can't for the life of me remember what it is but somebody will no doubt post it. The idea is not to have to fight the chain back onto the cogs.

k turner said:

Bagy I was thinking spare bike tonight :biggrin:

read the puncture prevention and is sounds like Marathons, how much are they and where do I get them in UK?

:smile:*lol*:biggrin:

you seem to be having lots of luck with this cycling malarky, keep perseveering, it will be worth it in the end!- and you will get better at maintenence.
not sure i'd bother swapping tyres just yet, dont think this was anything to do with your tyre, so you may as well get your money's worth out of this one, and when its worn/getting lots of punctures, just fit good ones for next time...

if you can, always get the tubes with the steel thread and locking nut, as mentioned before. makes for a sturdily secured valve, so less chance of damage, and no need to hold the back of the tyre while inflating it.

at least the brakes arent squealing now (i assume):ohmy:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got Marathon tyres as there is lots of glass on the roads locally (from the recycling lorries), but they are a real pig to get on and off my tyres. Luckily so far in the 18 months I've had them, I've only had to take off one tyre.

Top Bottom