Jinxed surely

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
punkypossum said:
Sounds like it might be your rim tape...

As for slime tubes, I know some people don't like them, but I think they are great...have safed me from quite a few flat tyres caused by thorns!

You could just stop riding into thorn bushes.;)

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Try carrying a spare inner tube, remove the punctured one, remove cause of said deflation, put in new tube, repair old tube at your leisure. It sounds as if you got a little bit hot under the collar. It should take 15 -20 minutes to fix a flat. Stay calm and when putting the tube back onto the rim, slightly inflate the tube first to stop it getting pinched between the tyre and the rim. Like you though, I have had a tyre spontaneously burst after it had been in my shed for a couple of days after inflating it.;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh come on - remove, repair and refit tube takes five mins maximum when you've got the knack..... (less if you replace the tube only at the side of a road). I did my son's front last night, and they are not quick release. That even includes re-fitting the tyre as my son decided he'd remove the tyre from the rim whilst the glue was drying.

I'd let the glue dry for a minute or two, and I don't usually bother to remove the plastic off the patch, unless it's had some time to dry - if a quick repair - the tube just goes back in tyre.

PS don't use cheap puncture kits - TipTop are the best, or any that use the round or oval patches with the black centres and the orange sticky edges.

Put your gears in the last but one (smallest) sprocket. Undo brake calliper - just remove the 'noodle' (bent tube) from the v brake (if fitted). Release QR lever, pull rear mech backwards, drop wheel out.

I'd recommend practicing it.

Let us know how you get on, as I suspect there may be some rough edge on the rim or the rim tape isn't seated properly causing the failure.

Don't bother about solid tyres - just don't work - keeping the tyres at the correct pressure is all that's needed.

Arch

Married to Night Train
k turner said:
I didnt know changing a tyre/tube/leak would take so long and be so complicated, my dad did it when we were kids.

How long does it take you guys?

Don't worry. It's bound to be a bit of a job the first time, especially without someone there to show you. I think you have a handy cycling neighbour? Maybe you could take him a cake or something, and ask him to give you a masterclass - he may have tips he can pass on, that will clearer than trying to interpret our various typed ramblings.... ;)

Even when you've done it a lot, fixing a flat can take longer than it should - always beware those 'five minute jobs' on a bike, that end up taking a week and a half...

But the more you've done it. the quicker you'll get. Everyone has to learn.

Andy Pandy

Can I add a few thoughts as well. Firstly, you don't really need to take the wheel off to patch it, you only need to when replacing the tube. Keeping the wheel in the frame can give you a little bit of extra leverage if the tyre is a little tight. I ride fixed so don't have qr wheels and can't be arsed carrying a suitable ring spanner. Secondly, I now swear by Park "Super Patch" pre-glued patches. They are like little plasters for your tube. No phaffing about with glue and chalk. Finally, the secret to changing a tyre is buy a decent set of tyre levers. They make all the difference.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
You can brake and stop, but when i had one on the front i used just the rear brake incase the front wheel slipped. I didnt want to courner much incase the tyre decided to come off. Dont fancy riding along on just a rim, dont think it will happen though:wacko:
I can change a tube in around 5 mins. Dont take me long, pumping it up takes a while longer if i only have a mini pump. With a track pump its faster.
For the back, make sure you have it in the small front ring, smallest back gear and the back wheel will drop out, aslong as you have turned the widget to release the brakes past the tyres, then wham its out.
Having a spare tube is better, can rip the old out and wack a new one in. Saves time when its cold i think.

OP
OP
k turner

k turner

I have bought 3 new tubes with the screws on and got a pump with a gauge as well. All stored with all my tools in my panier bag. Managed to put my back shelf on for the panier myself too.

Thanks for talking about the rear tyre, never thought abut the gears being in the way. If the front took 3 1/2 hrs then it will be an all day job for the back. I will start practicing now, how to get the back wheel off.

Going to see if I get any punctures before changing the tyres.

Top Bottom