Job application forms...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

surfgurl

I'm looking for a new job at the moment and have put a couple of applications in that I am still waiting to hear back on. I am struggling with another one this morning. I had thought I would alter a previous personal statement to fit, but it doesn't fit, so I am writing a new one. I am using the job spec, but I am really struggling with coming up with 100 words to fit about how I am a team player etc.
Has anyone got any tips or advice? Failing that just some motivation. :biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
surfgurl said:
I'm looking for a new job at the moment and have put a couple of applications in that I am still waiting to hear back on. I am struggling with another one this morning. I had thought I would alter a previous personal statement to fit, but it doesn't fit, so I am writing a new one. I am using the job spec, but I am really struggling with coming up with 100 words to fit about how I am a team player etc.
Has anyone got any tips or advice? Failing that just some motivation. :biggrin:
Go on surfgurl... you can do it... you know you can... :biggrin:

OP
OP
S

surfgurl

I'm now trying to write the bit about personal attributes. I have to show that I enjoy working with members of the public....

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Tell them you're out every weekend at your local supermarket harping on about parking in disabled spots and parent/child spaces and are often interacting with members of the public... :biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
These things are a lot easier if you can use real examples rather than go to the trouble of making stuff up. I am a hundred percent confident that somewhere in your dim and shady past you will have interacted with the public. Spend some time thinking about this (in the garden if you like! :biggrin:), and then come back to the form when your head is clearer.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Team member qualities and that sort of stuff I think is best expressed in tales "competencies" from previous jobs/experience.

Anyway come on, you can do it!

Use the STAR approach. Fill in the form with;

Situation you found yourself in
Target you wanted to achieve
Actions you took to achieve the Targets and
Results that were achieved due to the Actions

This can be individual actions, or the works undertaken as part of a team; but, emphasise what you did as a member of the team and how you interacted with the team.

Jaded

Remember that the advert is what they are looking for. Whatever you put in your statement, it has to include what they want, else you won't get to the next stage.

Astonishing though it seems, you can often get away with quoting bits of their ad back to them!

OP
OP
S

surfgurl

Many thanks for the advice and motivation. I have finally submitted it via the online system so it is now somewhere in the ether. I think I did a reasonable job on it. I followed the job spec and used that as a frame for the personal statements so I hope it is ok.

I'm just so desperate to get out of my current job. I will do almost anything.

Danny

Legendary Member
The key thing to do is to make sure you address the job/person specification (assuming they've got one) as clearly as possible.

When an employer asks about, say, your team work skills they are not asking you to prove that you could run a two day team building course. They really want you to demonstrate that you understand the basic factors that make for good team work - e.g. listening, good communication, support for other team members, etc.

If you are a good team player these things will seem obvious, but applicants who are poor team players will often struggle to answer this question well.

So just stick to the point, don't waffle, and give one or two examples of where you have been a good team player. Same goes for the other key points on the job specification.

OP
OP
S

surfgurl

I don't think I would be much use in financial administration. And Moss Side would mean a very long commute. :evil:

I'll keep looking for jobs down here in the West Country. Thank you all once again for the advice. That's the great thing about forums such as this, there are so many people involved in different things so you can get some great advice. Cheers!

Top Bottom