Job interview presentation question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Go with your instinct. It sounds like something to spend quite a bit of time over, preparing then practising. Do you have a mentor, informal or otherwise, inside the company who can help you form a view about the controversial issue?

Would an external candidate know about the controversial issue? I'd be tempted to handle it in the way an external candidate would i.e. obliquely and in a way that isn't going to put anyone in the room on the spot.
There are a couple of peers I could run things by. An external candidate would be unlikely to know much about any issue other than gossip so would be unlikely to mention it or be expected to. The problem is, this has only been advertised internally as they have tried other candidates in other parts of the country and it just never worked. I have no interest in putting anyone on the spot, but I think I may need to show that I recognise and understand the issues and at least have some ideas on how to deal with them and I'm not afraid to grasp the nettle.

Might be a bit of a gamble though.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
df8cd25fce66dea51f424725f30f030e.gif

alicat

Legendary Member
t I think I may need to show that I recognise and understand the issues and at least have some ideas on how to deal with them and I'm not afraid to grasp the nettle.

Yes, spot on.

alicat

Legendary Member
I deliver presentations all the time but it's mostly other people's material with my spin on it, never really done anything like this for interview before.

Sounds like your chance to shine. Think about the material you get given and the way you would do it if given a free hand then apply it to what you want to say.

The underlying content is key. Get that straight and then use the Powerpoint slides as an accessory to help deliver your message. In other words, if you get there and there's a power cut and they decide to carry on anyway your presentation should be nearly as as good as with the slides.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
This sort of interview process always reminds me of Just a Minute on Radio 4.

I've no relevant experiences to impart. I can only with wish you the very best of luck.
Nice thanks.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Sounds like your chance to shine. Think about the material you get given and the way you would do it if given a free hand then apply it to what you want to say.

The underlying content is key. Get that straight and then use the Powerpoint slides as an accessory to help deliver your message. In other words, if you get there and there's a power cut and they decide to carry on anyway your presentation should be nearly as as good as with the slides.
I'm off out on the bike to think about the message, thanks.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Might be a bit of a gamble though.
Much more of a gamble to ignore it.

If I were interviewing you as an internal candidate and you didn't tackle the reason for the vacancy and what you would do to solve any problems I would wonder whether I wanted you anywhere near my team.

Having done a couple and listened to a few from the otherside my recommendation would be to try and do it without slides - they are almost ways dull and add little value.
If you can just stand up and talk confidently, coherantly and engagingly, with a simple message, you'll make much more of an impact. Try and structure it around a story - everyone likes a story.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I was once invited for an interview which involved a 20 minute presentation... I got really stressed about it, so much so i didn't attend the interview :blush:
I'm sorry to hear that. I probably will have some nerves but hopefully nothing like that.

Top Bottom