Job interview presentation question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
As the title suggests, has anyone got any experience putting something together to knock em bandy.

I have been invited to an interview later next week for a management role in the organisation I'm already with and I have to deliver a 10 minute presentation to let them know my aspirations and plans for the job.

I deliver presentations all the time but it's mostly other people's material with my spin on it, never really done anything like this for interview before.

Thanks in advance.

tom73

Guru
Take it you will be using power pt not keynote ?

When I do them I stick to
Simple clean and crisp format. White slides and a good clean font in black.
No bells and pings or slide transitions.
Normally 1/2 slide with good quality image something a bit different that they will remember.
The other 1/2 4 or 5 bullet points (which I use as a mental prompt) and talk around them.
Keep the number to a minimum. 10 mins i'd say 8 max slides that allows for extra time if you need it.
Plan them on paper 1st
Have some copies to hand out too.
Once you have them practice a few time delivering them.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Are you looking for content or process suggestions?

Process: keep it simple, informal with maybe 3-4 powerful and punchy points maximum. I don't like PP presentations unless the subject matter is very complex and needs supporting data. Some presenters simply end up reading them which equals a dull and not at all engaging performance by the presenter.

Content: depends on how senior the role is. The more senior it is then it's likely that you will be expected to innovate etc. You need to assess this from your own knowledge of the role. Nonetheless, whatever the level, I'd be inclined to explain how you will help to deliver whatever key initiatives are currently being managed by the company itself and how you will add some value in your new role. If you will have a team reporting to you explain how you will involve them and inspire them etc to achieve said initiatives.

When presenting act as if you are in the role already - not arrogantly but with a natural confidence etc. Avoid anything along the lines of "if I get the role" etc.

Hope this helps a little and good luck.

Make sure to be precise on what you want to achieve, avoid wishy washy consultant language.

What is the objective/problem.....
How you're going deliver....
Who you'll need to help....
When you expect to be done....
Where will the company see value.... (profits, safety, compliance, retention, etc)

Don't over promise, be realistic with your aspirations and plans.

Practice a few times to avoid reading from your own ppt. Check the room you will be using, make sure the tech works.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
The patter is out as I don't do drugs. Lol

Some good points to ponder. I get that I should use my own knowledge of the job and I do have a fair bit but two points are quite controversial as one cost the previous boss his job. Should I broach that subject or leave well alone?

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Your name's Slick, so why are you asking us gormless lot?

Oh, you wanted sensible suggestions? @tom73 and @SpokeyDokey have got it covered.

I'll get me coat. Good luck!
I have high hopes of the collective. Lol

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
I should add, there's a 60 minute competency based interview before my presentation then a 5 minute Q&A session then some sort of psychometric test.

D

Deleted member 26715

I get that I should use my own knowledge of the job and I do have a fair bit but two points are quite controversial as one cost the previous boss his job. Should I broach that subject or leave well alone?
Dpends if you think he was right or not

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
Dpends if you think he was right or not
His motivation was to improve things but the execution was ham fisted at best. I thought it was hardly enough to lose your job over but I also suspect there was more going on in the background than us minions realised.

OP
OP
Slick

Slick

Guru
[QUOTE 5279973, member: 259"]If you think it's important then yes as you may well always live to regret it, otherwise it's not worth risking it.[/QUOTE]
I think it is important as the problems he faced are still there so I'm sure they will be looking for the new kid on the block to at least try and put forward solutions.

I think I will discuss both issues.

alicat

Legendary Member
Go with your instinct. It sounds like something to spend quite a bit of time over, preparing then practising. Do you have a mentor, informal or otherwise, inside the company who can help you form a view about the controversial issue?

Would an external candidate know about the controversial issue? I'd be tempted to handle it in the way an external candidate would i.e. obliquely and in a way that isn't going to put anyone in the room on the spot.

Top Bottom