Job's - Current Situation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Manchester has more 'culture'. :whistle:

bacteria-petri-dish.jpg

I think its important to start doing off-work lifestyle activities while on the job.

As for employers, do not for a moment think that they are going to suffer when you leave or they are suffering now because people are not prepared to return to the office post Covid.

Vacancies are there because they can still operate lean. If they are indeed desperate, they will readily offer more. I aware of employers who closed down a line of business when the margins are slim and some employees leave.

Make sure you are in control and understand your company dynamics.

Alex321

Veteran
Vacancies are there because they can still operate lean. If they are indeed desperate, they will readily offer more. I aware of employers who closed down a line of business when the margins are slim and some employees leave.
Those statements seem to somewhat contradict each other.

Many of the companies with vacancies have them because they just can't afford to offer more. That doesn't mean they can "operate lean", it means they are in some cases struggling to operate at all, or are delaying key parts of their business due to staff shortage.

If they can continue to operate for years with those vacancies unfilled, then sure, they don't need to fill them. But most companies can manage for a few months without what they really need to continue longer term.

If they can continue to operate for years with those vacancies unfilled, then sure, they don't need to fill them. But most companies can manage for a few months without what they really need to continue longer term.
You have done this a few times. Conjure up things that are not in posts.

Unfilled Vacancies are lost or redistributed to other areas within months. Staff might not be aware that a vacancy from a resigned staff no longer exist.

Covid is an unusual situation so the dynamics are different.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My wider team has attrition of about 10% in the last year, in a normal year it is 1-2%, the weird thing is that it is not just the youngsters who have been working here for a couple of years it is the old timers with 20+ years of experience. People are leaving in some countries because they can almost double their salaries, even in the UK people can move for a 25% increase. Unfortunately we cannot easily react to this because we are suffering financially due to the worldwide chip shortages, so we are storing up big problems for the next few years, what we have been doing is trying recruit in lower cost countries like India and Poland, but attrition rates there are hitting almost 30% so we just have a constant merry go round of training and learning. Just as people become competent and productive they move on. I have too many incentive shares to consider leaving, although I do wonder if they will be worth much over the next few years.

Alex321

Veteran
You have done this a few times. Conjure up things that are not in posts.
It was the only way I could make sense of your suggestion that "Vacancies are there because they can still operate lean".

If you mean that all vacancies only exist because companies can operate without those posts indefinitely, then I strongly disagree.

If you mean something else, then please explain what you did mean by that phrase.

Unfilled Vacancies are lost or redistributed to other areas within months. Staff might not be aware that a vacancy from a resigned staff no longer exist.
In some cases, that may be true. But I'm not sure how it is any more relevant than my "conjuring".

Covid is an unusual situation so the dynamics are different.
Well yes, it is. But there will almost certainly be a long term effect as it has introduced employers to the idea that hybrid working can be effective.
I am pretty sure that as we return to "normal" after COVID, the new normal will include a lot more WFH among what would previously have been entirely office based workers.

Slick

Guru
When I was working in Berlin just a couple of years after the wall came down, I heard lots of that type of story.

There is a definite attraction in the idea that laying X number of bricks, selling Y number of widgets or performing Z number of surgeries is your 'week's work' and you go home when it's done - but it only works up to a certain point, and even then only for certain jobs. Many were the coffee breaks when some of the Ossis would regale us Brits and Dutchies and Scandis with tales - some sad, some scary and some silly - of 'how life used to be'.
I think the construction industry proved that it doesn't work as all that really does is drive down quality as you reward the roughest men on the site. A good hourly wage is usually much more successful.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I am pretty sure that as we return to "normal" after COVID, the new normal will include a lot more WFH among what would previously have been entirely office based workers.
A lot of companies will also be realising the savings that can be made from not having and servicing a lot of m2 of expensive property.....

What's this working from home malarkey all about? Manufacturing happens at our factory and that's where I've been working solidly from June/July 2020. I only had 3 months lockdown

gbb

Legendary Member
Having worked for 20 years with workers from all over Europe in food production, we have seen the following...
First major wave of Polish have all either moved on and up or moved home as they retire or have earned enough.
2nd wave, Lithuanian and later Latvian, kinda ditto but there was never the same numbers so difficult to know the outcomes.
About the same time, Kosovan, Balkan workers etc, ditto, not in the same numbers but amiable guys.
We had Afghans maybe 15 years ago, different work ethic so they moved on quickly.
Lately, central European, Romanians, Moldovans etc, they seem to come from a very poor background H&S is a nightmare, they just do what they want, nightmare to get them to take anything seriously.
The quality of labour has fallen off a cliff in essence.
Some Romanians moved to Italy at the beginning of the pandemic, nearer home, actually better benefits there apparently (as told to us by people of their agency staff).
Business is booming out there, the need for labour has gone haywire, our company alone has gained so much business over three sites they have increased their labour need from around 500 per day to over 1000. Shifts are short frequently, quite simply they've paid minimum for years, its just not attractive anymore, not even for unskilled newcomers ....and as above the quality and work ethic in folk just isn't what it used to be.

3 months more than me mate. :okay:
Some at work only got 3 days, others 2 weeks then some with a month possibly 2. I came back part time initially at one day a week. The job I had been given was impossible to do like that not least because I kept getting further jobs to do. So I got put back on full time.

unofficially I had worked a little at home straight through. The company had a transition audit to a new version of the standard plus the annual quality audit. All remotely. I had to go in on audit day. Of course being in a SME that's more on the S side, I didn't have remote access to the server. So I had to snesk into work for a few hours every week when supposedly on furlough. Tbh it was a relief to be back in as then I got paid for my work officially. I wonder if there were many companies breaking the rules over furlough workers! Needs must I suppose. Lose all business by sticking to the rules or "be flexible" with the rules and keeping things going.

I guess there's even more risks to be addressed by our business management systems in these covid times. Remote access to server for all with office based access might be wise. Not many could do it at ourworkplace. Possibly one person for certain.

Still, people going on about not wanting to leave the WFH days behind does kind of grate at times.

Having worked for 20 years with workers from all over Europe in food production, we have seen the following...
First major wave of Polish have all either moved on and up or moved home as they retire or have earned enough.
2nd wave, Lithuanian and later Latvian, kinda ditto but there was never the same numbers so difficult to know the outcomes.
About the same time, Kosovan, Balkan workers etc, ditto, not in the same numbers but amiable guys.
We had Afghans maybe 15 years ago, different work ethic so they moved on quickly.
Lately, central European, Romanians, Moldovans etc, they seem to come from a very poor background H&S is a nightmare, they just do what they want, nightmare to get them to take anything seriously.
The quality of labour has fallen off a cliff in essence.
Some Romanians moved to Italy at the beginning of the pandemic, nearer home, actually better benefits there apparently (as told to us by people of their agency staff).
Business is booming out there, the need for labour has gone haywire, our company alone has gained so much business over three sites they have increased their labour need from around 500 per day to over 1000. Shifts are short frequently, quite simply they've paid minimum for years, its just not attractive anymore, not even for unskilled newcomers ....and as above the quality and work ethic in folk just isn't what it used to be.
Bakkavor by any chance?

Top Bottom