Jockey Wheel Maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
You should buy that bike some decent hoods and bar tape and not worry about your jockeys squeaking.
He also need a new saddle ^_^

Jody

Stubborn git
I run alloy type with ceramic bearings so would only look at them if they develop a problem or clean when needed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Resurrecting this thread.
[QUOTE 4666570, member: 9609"]How often if ever do you rebuild them and how do you lube them ?
On a change of chain.
This time of year (winter) with the wet salty roads I dismantle them about once a month (400mile) clean them up and rebuild with a water proof (marine) grease.[/QUOTE]
Clean and grease generously also.
they're sealed roller bearing
I replace them with every chain and cassette change,
My ninjas needed replacing (see image; includes relatively new one for comparison). I suspect that they were the originals (ie with the 105 RD) so had about 20,000km on them.
Replaced with basic sealed roller bearing ones (£10 the pair from my LBS).
On advice from my LBS I prised off the seal on the new ones (tip of Stanley knife: clicks off easily and clicks back on fine) and thumbed some more grease in there
Threadlock on the screws.
IMG_0789[1].JPG

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
No way, you had to replace them. I'm shocked, really I am, they look fine
CTFU
They seemed to work fine too, but I'd have had to clean them, yet again. And when I took them off to do so, I 'nearly' cut my finger on one. New ones seemed 'easier' and the LBS is just down the hill (and has a trueing jig I've used in situ recently to finish off a rim relacing).

I do think those jockey wheel screw threads merit locktite use, each time. Single point of failure and quite difficult to find a jury rig that'd get you far.
Very true, you’ll end up with a wierd single speed rig, at best.

gaijintendo

Veteran
I ran my first adult bike for a decade, and didn't change anything on the drive chain. It rode like a dream because every part of it had worn in perfect harmony.

My current bike has never had a replacement jockey wheel, though unlike @User , my teeth look blunt rather than sharp, and I have been wondering where to get parts. They often seem fairly close in price to my (tiagra) derailleur itself...

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I do think those jockey wheel screw threads merit locktite use, each time. Single point of failure and quite difficult to find a jury rig that'd get you far.
Doable, probably, as I carry a chain tool. But no fun at all. Off to purchase locktite.
I wouldn't lose much sleep over it TBH. In all my time I have never known them to be loose, never mind drop out. Obviously if they do it is a big issue but provided they are tightened up sufficiently when installed they shouldn't work loose. Having said that, I am not one of those who has to fiddle and remove them every 5 minutes! Even my abused commuter that does around 3kpa in all weather will only get the jockey wheels serviced every year or two and this is enough, don't fix what ain't broken!

CTFU
They seemed to work fine too, but I'd have had to clean them, yet again. And when I took them off to do so, I 'nearly' cut my finger on one. New ones seemed 'easier' and the LBS is just down the hill (and has a trueing jig I've used in situ recently to finish off a rim relacing).
I have some that look a bit like your sharp ones, from a quality mech been used on 2 bikes for about 15 years I suppose. I too am not aware of any particular in use problems but just feel that it surely can't be good for the chain and general drive train to have sharp jockey wheels so different from the new ones. Otherwise god/mr shimano would have made them that way to start with?

Gixxerman

Guru
I take them off and clean them whenever I take the chain off (I have a powerlink) for cleaning (which every few weeks or so depending of use). I clean the wheels, screw, end caps and bush with a rag and WD40. I then lube up the bush with dry lube and reassemble. It takes 10 mins at most. Hardest part is holding the cage against the spring pressure whilst you get the upper wheel in, as you can't acess the bolt with the cage in the normal position.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I once lost a jockey wheel on a long downhill while mountain biking, with no chance of finding it again. Fortunately I wasn't too far from the car, but ended up walking the ups and freewheeling the downs.

I don't currently have any locktite so just make sure the bolts are done up good and tight whenever I have them out. If you've got some to hand, definitely a good idea to dab some on.

I've replaced the jockey wheels in two of my bikes over winter, can't say I noticed any difference in shifting quality but it's nice to know the drive train's all in good nick.

Top Bottom