Jockey wheel problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
This problem just started yesterday. I've got a Cannondale triple. When I move right down into lowest gear the top jockey wheel rubs against the cassette sprocket causing a really annoying noise.

Any suggestions how to adjust?

Thanks

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Adjusting the B screw on the rear mech will generally fix this, assuming the rear mech and chain length are ok.

Globalti

Legendary Member
But how come it's only just started? Or is it that you noticed it for the first time when messing around with the bike upside-down or hanging up?

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
Globalti said:
But how come it's only just started? Or is it that you noticed it for the first time when messing around with the bike upside-down or hanging up?

There's a stretch of road near me which is like Paris-Roubaix. I think going over it so many times has vibrated the B screw loose. (Honest. it couldn't have happened when I kicked the fecker when I couldn't get a tyre off)

zacklaws

Guru
Its just one of those things if something is set up with fine tolerance's, one day its ok then its not.

My rear mech had a disliking to a lot of hill climbing, if I did too much climbing, it became very difficult to change whilst in the lower gears and also start making a grating sound when in the lowest gear and if I tried to adjust them it made no difference or screwed up the higher gears. But I found that if I did not try adjusting them, they would be back to normal the next day.

Eventually I tightened up the B screw 3 turns, which stopped it happening, but slowed down the gear change, so I screwed the B screw in 1 turn at a time whilst out riding until I hit the sweet spot and not had problems since.

02GF74

Über Member
the B-stop screw shouldn't undo itself - it either has a plastic piece or is covered with some goo, usally blue or green in colour, some sort of thread lock - both to stop it unscrewing.

OP
OP
Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike

Über Member
zacklaws said:
My rear mech had a disliking to a lot of hill climbing, if I did too much climbing, it became very difficult to change whilst in the lower gears and also start making a grating sound when in the lowest gear and if I tried to adjust them it made no difference or screwed up the higher gears. But I found that if I did not try adjusting them, they would be back to normal the next day.

Funnily enough I did a route on Saturday which had 700m of some majorly (for me anyway) steep climbs. I was in the granny gear for a lot of the time

Top Bottom