Jockey wheel problem

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Halfmanhalfbike, 12 Apr 2010.

1. Halfmanhalfbike

Halfmanhalfbike Über Member

This problem just started yesterday. I've got a Cannondale triple. When I move right down into lowest gear the top jockey wheel rubs against the cassette sprocket causing a really annoying noise.

Any suggestions how to adjust?

Thanks

2. RecordAceFromNew

RecordAceFromNew Swinging Member

Adjusting the B screw on the rear mech will generally fix this, assuming the rear mech and chain length are ok.

3. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

But how come it's only just started? Or is it that you noticed it for the first time when messing around with the bike upside-down or hanging up?

4. OP
    OP
    Halfmanhalfbike

Thanks. That's it sorted.

(Memo to self. In future read the Park tools website before bothering these fine people)

5. OP
    OP
    Halfmanhalfbike

There's a stretch of road near me which is like Paris-Roubaix. I think going over it so many times has vibrated the B screw loose. (Honest. it couldn't have happened when I kicked the fecker when I couldn't get a tyre off)

6. zacklaws

zacklaws Veteran

Its just one of those things if something is set up with fine tolerance's, one day its ok then its not.

My rear mech had a disliking to a lot of hill climbing, if I did too much climbing, it became very difficult to change whilst in the lower gears and also start making a grating sound when in the lowest gear and if I tried to adjust them it made no difference or screwed up the higher gears. But I found that if I did not try adjusting them, they would be back to normal the next day.

Eventually I tightened up the B screw 3 turns, which stopped it happening, but slowed down the gear change, so I screwed the B screw in 1 turn at a time whilst out riding until I hit the sweet spot and not had problems since.

7. 02GF74

02GF74 Über Member

the B-stop screw shouldn't undo itself - it either has a plastic piece or is covered with some goo, usally blue or green in colour, some sort of thread lock - both to stop it unscrewing.

8. Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant

Sure, but as the chain wears, the B stop screw may have to be ajusted to compensate.

9. OP
    OP
    Halfmanhalfbike

Funnily enough I did a route on Saturday which had 700m of some majorly (for me anyway) steep climbs. I was in the granny gear for a lot of the time

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice