JOGLE kit list

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wyno70

Okay, so just under two weeks to my first ever tour. It's a JOGLE down the west coast of Scotland. I'm rough camping all the way but eating in cafe's & pubs as I cant be bothered taking stove etc.

I'm trying to keep things pretty minimal, as I have a nasty habit of overpacking and so far my kit list looks like this:

Relevant tools (tyre levers, spare chain link, chain tool, leatherman, small pliers & bike multi tool).
Spare tube & 2 repair kits.
Pump!
Bike, bottles panniers etc.
Tent, sleeping bag & roll mat.
Zip ties, some string & some duck tape!
2 lots of cycling clothes.
1 lot of casual clothes for evening.
Trainers and cycling shoes.
Toiletries.
Map, compass and details of route.
String bag for drying stuff on the back of the bike.
Chain to lock up bike.
Toilet roll.
Savlon!!
Mini digital radio.
Mobile, credit cards & cash!

As it's the first time I've done this, is there anything glaringly obvious that I have missed out, or any hot tips on stuff I should take but haven't included above??

Any help appreciated.

Llama

Veteran
looks like you have thought of most things - i would prob take two spare tubes and one puncture kit though! and lights? (you might also want a camera?)

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks a lot for the info.

Camera I have (forgot to list it).

Lights - definately a rear light and going to rely on a powerful head torch for the front. Reason I say that is, I'm planning on an 8/ 9am start most mornings and will be looking to set up camp by 5/ 6 latest, so hopefully no cycling in the dark. Really only hope to have to use if the weather is bad.

Why do you say the other way round re tubes and repair kits?? I'm assuming you mean in case I get two punctures in a day??

bianchi1

Guru
plasters of all sizes. Not for cuts so much, but a must for blisters, joggers nipple etc.

will try and remember any other things and post later.

samid

Veteran
If you are counting ;) - another vote for 2 tubes and one patch kit (I'm assuming one patch kit can patch several flats).

One thing I found very useful was a highlighting marker, for marking my next day's route on the map (I used pages torn out of a road atlas).

Also, you may want to take along a spoon, fork or spork - for when you buy prepared food at a store.

And, your list doesn't mention waterproofs - likely to be needed I think.

Cheers.

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks for the tip on plasters and spoons, hadn't really considered either!

I'm thinking the 2 tubes idea sounds like a good one, so will get myself another!

Road atlas already dissected and highlighted so hopefully already got that one covered.

Thanks a lot everyone, keep em coming!

snorri

Legendary Member
wyno70 said:
Road atlas already dissected and highlighted so hopefully already got that one covered.
Pages in individual clear plastic sleeves to keep them dry, sometimes they get a little rain out west;)

snorri said:
Pages in individual clear plastic sleeves to keep them dry, sometimes they get a little rain out west;)

We laminated ours. I am really glad we did. I just shoved the laminated map card down the front of my jersey so it was easily accessible during the day. We laminated a map page representing each day of the ride, and split them between us.

PpPete

Legendary Member
West coast of Scotland is brilliant for rough camping - if the weather is good :tongue: - and midges shouldnt be too bad yet.

But - are you sure you can find enough cafes/pubs? There are many places up there which have neither. I remenber getting to one place after 3 days very wet walking - thinking that with a PO marked on the OS 1" map (it was that long ago) there would be something....

Yes there was - 1 croft, 1 church, a dozen ruined buildings and a post box in the wall, twice weekly collections by mail boat. When asked about phone boxes, food supplies - the occupants of said croft looked at us as if we had come fra' another planet.

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks for the info Pete, I had kinda presumed that I am visiting towns large enough to provide me with some sustainance. maybe you or someone else could let me know whether I am likely to find food in the following towns??

Durness.
Rhiconich.
Kylesku.
Drumbeg.
Drumrunie.
Ullapool.
Gorstan.

Thats pretty much my route, after which I'll be hitting Inverness and am pretty confident I'll find something enroute.

As usual, any assistance greatfully appreciated!

NOne of these places are towns by any stretch of the imagination, but...

Durness - yes at the balnakeil craft village.
Rhiconich - It's just one building. Luckily it's a hotel and it will sell you food.
Kylesku - has one place where you can get food - the Kylesku hotel, and it's bloody gorgeous food too. There's also a small cafe up the road in Unapool
Drumbeg - yes has a hotel and a small cafe down a side road. The cafe doesn't have a loo. May be relevant.
Drumrunie - not been here
Ullapool - amazing fish and chips available here. There are quite a few places.
Gorstan - not been here

OP
OP
W

wyno70

Thanks a lot, looks like a couple of my days, I'll have to carry whatever I'll be eating. very useful thanks again Kirstie.

I know you don't really want to cook but I guess you carry enough stove and bits for a hot brew at both ends of the day ? A brew after mending a puncture can also be quite nice. You fix while friends make the brew.

Top Bottom