How many miles was your LEJOG or JOGLE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
As it says.. How many miles was your LEJOG or JOGLE?

Not sure what the shortest possible route is but I totted up 1,100 miles in 15 days, with a diversion via Arran, Mull and Gilchoan.

robgul

Legendary Member
JOGLE in 2005 = 935 miles, LEJOG in 2010 = 940 miles.

Same route each time save for the day from Bromyard to Bristol/Bristol to Bromyard - JOGLE via Gloucester, LEJOG over the Severn bridge and via Chepstow.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Almost exactly 1000 miles, including the bit on from Burwick to Kirkwall.
Apices/chokes: Holsworthy, Bampton, Taunton, Severn Bridge, Widnes-Runcorn Bridge, Gretna, Lochranza, Lochaline, Beauly, Crask Inn
Details: see other thread(s).

It's been a long time since I last mapped out the route I took in 2005 and a lot of the information is lost to time but I work it out to be about 1105 miles if you include the bit between Wick and John O'Groats and the return journey from Land's End to Penzance.

My route through Scotland could be described as "meandering". North from Wick, then west as far as Tongue before turning back south. My route across the Black Isle is lost - I was on unnumbered back roads solely to get off the A9. From Inverness, instead of following NCN7 or the Great Glen I headed east to Nairn and turned south to cross the northern spur of the Cairngorms, then followed the Spey Valley all the way along Loch Laggan to Spean Bridge and Fort William. Then along the A82 all the way to Glasgow :wacko:

After Glasgow my route can be summed up as following road signs to towns on the West Coast Main Line, until Exeter where, after sleeping rough due to lack of accommodation, I diverted along the coast to spend time with a friend in Kingsbridge, which took me well off the usual route through the westcountry.

I did LEJoG in 4 bits over 4 years and it was 1100 miles, obviously it's still a valid LEJoG as unless you do it without stops it's only a series of day rides, and so is only ever LE to Taunton/Bristol/Somewhere (in my case St Austell) :whistle:

roryg90

Hi everyone, my first time posting on this site. I am planning to do a JOGLE in 10 days at the end of August. Can anyone advise me on a good route and where I should stay along the way? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rory

Hi everyone, my first time posting on this site. I am planning to do a JOGLE in 10 days at the end of August. Can anyone advise me on a good route and where I should stay along the way? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Rory
You need to stay where you can actually stay, Scotland had few places before C19 hit, stay short of what you think you can do UNLESS you can see from the route profile you can actually do the lumps shown, Scotland has long slow bumps, however the LE end are pretty brutal bumps (for normal riders), but in general if you can get to Bristol (either way) you'll finish.

snorri

Legendary Member
My LEJOG was 973 miles, I made up the route as I went along, taking what looked like the shortest route avoiding dual carriageways but wanted to go through Edinburgh.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Rory
Hi Rory. Have a browse through some of the threads on this forum and see which ones might suit your preferences. In particular, take a look at Routes, which also contains a link to http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/, a most useful set of resources and ideas.

Slowcyclist

HI - I'm about to do the ride and bought the Sustrans book of the route. Their route is approx. 1200 miles, although my journey will be nearer to 1300 due to leaving the route each day to get to campsites, and back to the route again the next day. I'm not following the Sustrans route between Glasgow and Inverness. The Sustrans route goes east to Inverness but I particularly want to go west to take in Glencoe and the Great Glen. I'll be taking the train from Glasgow to Oban so my cycling miles will be back to about 1200 miles again!

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Ours this year is planned at 932miles including diverting home to Glossop and also diverting up to Dunnet Head. Without those it would be about 900. We are going LE-Gloucester-Crewe-Penrith-Tushielaw-Perth-Aviemore-Brora-JoG which is pretty direct. 46,000ft climbing

toffee

Guru
Ours was 977 miles in 2018, ignoring the bit from Penzance to LE and JOG to Wick afterwards.

The miles were easy, it was going up the hills that caused the most problems.

I suppose Mrs T getting ill on Day 4 was a bit of an issue as well.

Top Bottom