JOGLE Next summer - opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattlandells

After our GCSEs next summer, myself and two friends are planning to cycle JOGLE in 15 days for charity. We're pretty much there on the planning side, but wanted some opinions on a few things:

1) Does anybody know of a decent route through Blackburn etc. down into Chester? Seems to be very busy and built up, and we'd rather not wrestle with HGVs for the day!

2) Camping in Scotland - is this an issue in the summer (July/Aug)? We've heard youth hostels are more comfortable because of the midges that time of year

3) Food - are food shops easy to find en route in Scotland? We're a bit worried about filling up, especially on the day between Glencoe and Arran

4) Website - sorry if this is a shameless plug (let me know if it is!), but we'd like some opinions on a website I've built for the trip - www.bike4charity.co.uk

Thanks for your help,

Matt

wyno70

Hi Matt,

I'd love to help but my JOGLE didn't really cover the points you raise.

1. I literally went straight down the A6 from Kendal and picked up the A49 to Shrewsbury. I did that part on a Sunday and traffic wasn't too bad, in fact the morning was very pleasant with very little traffic.

2. Camping in Scotland is great and you can pretty much 'free range' but yes, the time you are planning to go it is very likely midges will be a problem. So hostels may well be a good idea. Some people swear by 'Avon So Soft' to keep them at bay. This link may be useful:
http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34181&highlight=scotland+midges

3. Apologies, I went the other way, up over the Glencoe Pass so can't really comment. If your route changes, there isn't a lot over the pass but a great pub at 'Bridge of Orchy' that seems to attract lots of hikers. It does great food. Having said that, the road over the pass is pretty heavy with traffic and a lot of people would say 'avoid'. It didn't bother me.

4. The site looks good and nothing wrong with shameless plugs!! Good luck.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
mattlandells said:
After our GCSEs next summer, myself and two friends are planning to cycle JOGLE in 15 days for charity. We're pretty much there on the planning side, but wanted some opinions on a few things:

1) Does anybody know of a decent route through Blackburn etc. down into Chester? Seems to be very busy and built up, and we'd rather not wrestle with HGVs for the day!

2) Camping in Scotland - is this an issue in the summer (July/Aug)? We've heard youth hostels are more comfortable because of the midges that time of year

3) Food - are food shops easy to find en route in Scotland? We're a bit worried about filling up, especially on the day between Glencoe and Arran

4) Website - sorry if this is a shameless plug (let me know if it is!), but we'd like some opinions on a website I've built for the trip - www.bike4charity.co.uk

Thanks for your help,

Matt

1. Try using www.viamichelin.co.uk and use the bike option.

2. Avon Skin So Soft keeps the midges at bay.

3. I always carry a day's worth of spare calories in case of shop closures/ half day closings etc. I can't comment on your specific route but I had no need to dip into my emergency rations in Scotland.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
Regarding the route down to blackburn , you could do worse than pick up the pennine cycleway - you can get onto it in northumberland and it will take you down through lancs, then you can go in a SW direction to Chester.

I live between Chorley and Blackburn and rode this route south to north in the summer. The closest point to the PCW from Blackburn is Gargrave. I've ridden all of the PCW, Derby to Berwick, and think it's a great route but would not recommend this as part of LeJog. There are some very tough sections on the PCW and it would make the ride unneccesarily difficult. I'm planning LeJog for next summer and will be using the west coast. If you can plan to use the A6 at a weekend it's a good road and not too busy, I frequently see EtoE'rs on it. If you want to avoid the A6 it's perfectly possible to shadow it using the back /side roads.

If you can be a bit more specific about where you'll be in Lancashire I could make some suggestions on a through route

PaulSB

Legendary Member
That's a nice ride though I don't know the bit round Bolton and Leigh as I've never ridden round there. I think I've ridden all the rest in Lancashire and Cheshire. Personally I'd avoid Blackburn but I can see why you've chosen to go straight through. It's a good climb up to Tockholes, great pub at the top though. Over Winter Hill you've chosen the easier side to climb, just watch out for the descent on the other side!!

Can you post links to the rest of your route?

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Can't comment on your specific route, but places to eat (shops and pubs alike) can get rather sparse in places. Carry food with you just in case, and if you see somewhere open a few miles before you were planning to stop, stop early!

Lunchtimes in particular are often strictly 12-2pm; arrive at 2.05pm and you may be out of luck.

snorri

Legendary Member
From Chester I went up towards Birkenhead and over the ferry to Liverpool then Southport, Preston and Lancaster......
I like to be beside the sea:smile:, and don't remember any hills that way.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
snorri said:
From Chester I went up towards Birkenhead and over the ferry to Liverpool then Southport, Preston and Lancaster......
I like to be beside the sea:smile:, and don't remember any hills that way.

Living locally I'd agree with that. Without seeing the rest of the their route it's difficult to comment but for avoiding hills yours is the way to go. Again though there is plenty of good riding in the link that has been posted.

Top Bottom