JOGLE Tour Highlands Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BruceF

Regular
I’m planning a JOGLE tour and I intend to cross through the heart of the highlands. The route I’m planning is a “see/experience everything I can fit in” spirited thing as opposed to a “shortest possible route sprinted through in minimal time” approach. I plan on riding around 1,500 miles in around 6 weeks.

I’d like to cross the Highlands during (weather-wise) a reasonably hospitable season. My question--- Am I restricted to July+August, would June be civil up there and might May even be manageable? I’m from upstate NY (200 miles south of Montreal) so I’m accustomed to cold/wet weather, but... This will be a vacation and I’d like to keep it as pleasant as I can, so I’d prefer to avoid snow, ice, sleet, slush, etc...

Your experiences and input will be much appreciated. Thanks.

snorri

Legendary Member
Definitely not restricted to July and August, I'm assuming you are intending to cycle on road in which case you would be extremely unlucky to encounter falling snow in May anywhere in the Highlands (cue someone to come in and say they did!), and if you did it would be melting quickly after falling. There will certainly be snow lying on the hill tops, but not on the roads.*
The roads would be quieter in May and June when there are fewer tourists about and these months tend to be drier, although temperatures will be a little higher in July and August. June also has the advantage of longer daylight.
Edit...... *As Eck so rightly points out in the next post, there is a possibility of snow at The Lecht and Cairnwell. I suppose the moral of the story is to keep an eye on weather forecasts for that area and have a diversion route planned if the going looks tough.

Last edited:

eck

Über Member
Ahem, the aptly named Snow Roads audax route had two of the roads - The Lecht and Cairnwell - closed by snow just two days before the event at the end of May last year. :cold:
However, the only DNFs on the day of the ride had succumbed to heat and dehydration. :sun:

snorri

Legendary Member
Ahem, the aptly named Snow Roads audax route had two of the roads - The Lecht and Cairnwell - closed by snow just two days before the event at the end of May last year. :cold:

Yes indeed, I just thought of the Cairn Gorms/Grampians after I'd posted :whistle:.
I will edit my post, thanks eck:smile:.

OP
OP
B

BruceF

Regular
My highlands route will most likely be A9 south from Inverness to A95; A95 northeast to Grantown-on-Spey; A939 south to Ballater and then east to either Aberdeen or Stonehaven. I presume those are major roads at (comparatively) lower elevations, so I won’t be facing upper elevations weather extremes or back country unpaved roads. Are my clueless foreigner guesses anywhere near correct?

snorri

Legendary Member
There is a more pleasant alternative to the A9 south of Inverness designated NCN 1 (National Cycle Network) , this joins NCN 7 a few miles south of Inverness and takes you on to Carr Bridge where you branch off for Grantown.
Errrrr...The A939 is the aforementioned Lecht.:shy:
It was included quite recently in a newspaper article which describes it as one of the 10 toughest cycle climbs in the UK. http://www.theguardian.com/travel/2012/jul/20/britains-top-10-toughest-cycle-climbs
We don't have any back country unpaved roads, all of the public road network is tarred.
Keep asking, someone on here will have the answers:smile:.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I rode the highlands on my lejog, through september and it was beautiful and dry most days. Generally our summers are getting earlier and autumn seems to move in early too. So you may be lucky early summer...may seems a little too early though to expect fair weather.

That said, its scotland...if you dont like the weather, wait 15 minutes.

HelenD123

Guru
I did the Lochs & Glens North route from Glasgow to Inverness in the middle of April a couple of years ago. There was a snow flurry in Aviemore and ice on my tent when I woke up there but it didn't really hold me up. The snow didn't settle. If you're planning on camping the midges could make things miserable in July and August. It's mostly down to luck.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I had a pleasant week passing thru' the Highlands in early May a few years ago.The weather can be very variable;almost 4 seasons in one day.
For example I rode thru' Altnaharra in shorts,sandals & short sleeves.When I arrived at the Crask Inn there was snow within sight of the bar & the next morning it was bitter cold with a very heavy frost.
The midges were conspicuous by their absence.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Less midgies in May and June.
Far fewer tourists and holidaymakers too, and accommodation is easier to find at short notice.
Avoid July and August if possible.

Top Bottom