John Le Carre anyone ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
If you want to read formulaic writing try Wilbur Smith. His first novels were okay because they had a historical context but as he has aged his writing has become more and more predictable and far-fetched.
I think I have read all his early ones (the Courtney family if I recall correctly) but as you say, he went off the boil later.

Colin_P

Guru
He was great in Dads Army ......... oh wait...

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Le Carré isn't (just) a thriller writer, he actually has literary substance and style. His books are subtle and complex. If what you want is action and people jumping out of planes and all that kind of thing, you aren't going to find it in Le Carré. If you want irony, depth and an understanding of how espionage actually works, including the utter corruption and cynicism of that world, then he's your man. The Spy Who Came in From the Cold is one of my favourite novels of all time in any genre. Of his recent work, I really liked A Most Wanted Man.

His son, Nick Harkaway, is also a fantastic author, albeit in a very different genre (the new weird end of science fiction).

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I read Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, which I quite liked, but I thought the BBC series was better.

Read Eric Ambler's Mask of Dimitrios, which is similar to some of Le Carrie's stuff but set in the 30's. That was pretty good.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Read Eric Ambler's Mask of Dimitrios, which is similar to some of Le Carrie's stuff but set in the 30's. That was pretty good.

Eric Ambler was highly regarded for a long time, and I really like his work, but it hasn't aged that well, and although Le Carré's novels all have a clear sense of time and place, I think the best ones still hold up better (so far...). There are some that really don't though - I reread A Small Town in Germany recently, and found it flabby and overly concerned with the tedious minutiae of expat life of the time.

Interesting reading this thread from a year ago, and comparing with the recent thread triggered by Le Carre's death; gosh, how many more -ve posts there are on this one!

I'm a big fan of Tinker Tailor ... (and loved the recent movie); haven't read many of his books, but just heard a strong/reliable recommendation for the latest, so it's going on my TBR list:
Agent Running in the Field

(I've just reread that - what a terrible title it is :P )

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Agent Running in the Field

(I've just reread that - what a terrible title it is :P )
Just had a horrible vision of Theresa May. :stop:

Brilliant old interview now on iPlayer:John le Carre
Mark Lawson Talks To...
John le Carre converses with Mark Lawson about his fragmented childhood, life in the diplomatic service, working with Alec Guinness and his book A Most Wanted Man. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00dwcp6

The guy was as sharp as a poisoned umbrella, and every answer contains some nugget. He clearly followed intelligence and diplomacy in detail all his life. Asked about the "War on Terror":
You would have just as much luck declaring War on Influenza.

Top Bottom