Joined FB.........

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
...and none of them have used my real name on here...
That is something that bugs me on another forum.
I have met or communicated with a few members but only use my real name in real life or when posting stuff, however, some of them insist on using my real name on the forum in preference to my screen name.
People should use the name given in that particular circumstance.

Even if someone has a screen name of johnsmith I wouldn't call him John Smith online.

tug benson

Survived the Tour O the borders 2013
Twitter is a lot better than Facebook

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
How does Twitter work... do you have to be logged into it all the time to see what people are posting and how on earth would anyone have time to read it all? ... and more to the point why would they want to know what someone had for breakfast?

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I use it and love it ! I have got in contact with long lost family and friends and use it to keep in touch with groups i have an interest in including cycling,aviation,Countryside,classic rallying ect.If you don't want anything to be seen,don't put it on the web.....simples !
I use it to help myself and others on my college course (especially when assignments are due the next day ! ) I do not think the CIA or the KGB are arsed about my photo's of me slugging my guts out on a bike ride or a picture of some wierd bug i have seen so bring it on and embrace !

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I never joined. I would advise anyone else not to join.
I'm right with NT on this one.
A salutory tale.
I've never been near FB. I'm far too uncool.
However, about two years ago a FB page got created electronically with my name on it from one or other .com I've purchased from in the past. Impossible to tell which one.
Then about 18 months ago a credit card fraud was attempted on my card, which the bank picked up on immediately. The banks are pretty good at this nowadays.
A bit of detective work and judicious hacking from a friendly IT department traced the source of the fraud back to this particular FB page. When it was opened and the various links tested, not only did it contain all the numbers for the particular credit card, it had my home address, both personal and private email addresses, and a whole lot more information I'd rather keep between me and any trading website I choose to deal with.
I admit I don't know how tagging works, but I am told that the right tag in the right place or on the right photograph could lead anyone straight to that page. Is that understanding correct?
In any case, FB is the first place any employer will look at when they identify potential job candidates.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
In any case, FB is the first place any employer will look at when they identify potential job candidates.

So we are told. However, it's really easy to set up your Facebook page so that NOBODY can see ANYTHING unless YOU CHOOSE TO LET THEM DO SO. This includes tagged photos. Mine is set up like this, and my kids' pages too, at my insistence. So any employer looking at my page will simply get a message saying that my privacy settings do not allow them to see my content. Simple.
-----------------------------------
Sent mobile phone stylee

Top Bottom