FNRttC July 22 - Friday Night Ride to... Newhaven

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Yet another Friday excursion to a charming English seaside resort on the South Coast – this time we’ll ride to lovely Newhaven.*

We’ll leave Hyde Park Corner at midnight, depart via Farthing Downs and use the 24-hours McDonalds at Gatwick Airport as a halfway stop. The ride will be around 60 miles and flatter as the Brighton rides, as it avoids Ditchling. However, getting across the North Downs and Turners Hill will still entail some climbing.

You can request to join the ride by using the Web link below and completing the Registration Form.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sUTzR7B6wg0RhLlRMcXtf9UKiak-kASogFwwhEhIM58/viewform

The roll call so far:

Olaf (me)
Kat (Dieppe to Paris)
@Gordon P
@stuart G (up to Gisors, or just Newhaven depending on ferry)
@stuart A (up to Saint-Saens)
@mllond
@wanda2010
@rb58 (to Newhaven) ?
@ianmac62 (to Newhaven)
@User (to Newhaven)
@TimO (to Newhaven)
John (Orange Brompton, to Newhaven)

*Actually, while Newhaven is lovely (honest!), it’s not primarily touristic charm that is attracting us, but the ferry connection to France. A lucky few of us will temporarily leave the Great British Summer behind and ride on to the City of Love over the weekend. Unfortunately, the ferry company is not really interested in doing business with cyclists and was only willing to sell about 4.5 tickets, which sold out quickly.

mllond

Looking forward to it!!

TimO

Guru
My intent is to ride to Brighton and get a train back to the smoke from there, which is generally quite easy along the Cliff Path. I may investigate another stretch of Cliff Path at the Newhaven end, the only possible impractical element being carrying a bicycle down some stairs, the other end is definitely a slope.

rb58

Enigma
My plan will be weather driven. I'm now thinking to ride over the Ashdown forest to Tonbridge and hitch a train from there. But Lewes is still an option.

StuartG

slower but further
I'm afraid I'm going to have to scratch from the complete ride. Senior Management Team insists I'm crucial to the success of our major Home Improvement Project week 2. Here is how week 1 went:

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

ETA is as usual on a FNRttC - we are talking about 60 miles, so 7-8am-ish. The breakfast place only opens at 8am, but I may try to convince them of opening 7.30am .

SandySnake

Looking forward to another new destination. Felt good last Friday riding into London, doing the ride to Felpham and then riding on to Brighton so planning much the same this week, cycle from Tring into London checking out a few new roads, do the ride and then I'm planning on cycling back to Brighton, cutting down onto the Undercliff Walk using the little 'S' road just by the bus stop East of the White Cliffs Cafe. Anybody wishing to tag along on the ride into London or afterwards to Brighton just let me know.

OP
OP
redfalo

redfalo

Time for a roll call. Will also send an email to riders soon. Looks like it's going to be a nice, small group:

Adrian C
Andy B
Gordon P
Greg T
Ian Mac
Jenny M
John Ma
John Mo
Mary L
Matthew W (STILL need your CTC/LCC/BC number!)
Olaf S
Ross C
Sonia W
Stuart A
Tim D
Tim O (I don't have you mobile and email - can you bother filling in the form)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Time for a roll call. Will also send an email to riders soon. Looks like it's going to be a nice, small group:

Adrian C
Andy B
Gordon P
Greg T
Ian Mac
Jenny M
John Ma
John Mo
Mary L
Matthew W (STILL need your CTC/LCC/BC number!)
Olaf S
Ross C
Sonia W
Stuart A
Tim D
Tim O (I don't have you mobile and email - can you bother filling in the form)
Have considered riding from home rather than HPC- pros being saving rather a lot of money on train fares, leave bike and kit at home, not having to rush out of work, no lugging the uniform around until Friday, etc, but the cons outweigh it- not least missing out on the vast majority of the ride with you lovely people. It's a pleasant enough ride, but dull in the daytime, let alone at night. The forecast westerly wind means (assuming I don't have any mechanicals) I'd probably make it by six, if not earlier, so I'd only end up kicking my heels or heading north to meet up with you anyway.

If we get there a bit early for Luna Rossa that would give the option of going shopping at the Co-op (right round the corner) or Sainsbury's (just up the A259) before breakfast- both open at 7. Supermarket sandwiches (etc) definitely preferable to DFDS catering...

Top Bottom