Jumping chain.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
On my Specialized Roubaix Elite, the chain jumps on the jockey wheel, always on the same lenght of chain, about 8 inches long. It does it in all the gears and I dare not ride it , just in case. I have checked the chain to see if something was sticking out from it , but all is clear. Any idea what it can be? My lbs is still closed so can't take it there.

Sharky

Guru
Stiff links or not flush with the rivets?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Sounds like a stiff link, but strange that it is over such a long length. Has this started to happen suddenly and have you done anything to the drivetrain before it started misbehaving?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Actually, just checked over what length again and it is only about 4 inches, I was guessing from memory before. Last time I used that bike was before the lockdown so can't remember when it started misbehaving. Have been using only my Cube lately. I will follow @Mo1959 advice and see what happens.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

@Mo1959 you are a star. :notworthy:
I followed your advice and found that two links were stiff and after loosening and lubricating them, I am pleased to report that all is well. The chain goes round smoothly in all gears. As a treat, I will take my Roubaix for a deserved ride tomorrow ( weather permitting of course.) :bicycle:

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Had you washed your bike before putting it away?
I never wash my bikes but spray them with muc off and wipe afterwards with a clothe.

Top Bottom